Register Now
Kane99

13 Best FMV Games of All Time

I got bored so fast playing Her Story. And this is coming from someone who loves reading visual novels.

Simulacra was an interesting one-off experience that I never bothered to replay. I like its gameplay though, how it subtly judges you for your voyeurism in checking out someone else's phone.

Late Shift was probably my favorite FMV game for an obvious reason: its branching narrative. It's just too bad that replaying the game to explore different possibilities is so tedious. It needs a better save mechanic. Otherwise, I love the Hollywood thriller adventure story that isn't just another mystery whodunit like most FMV games.

Honorable mention goes to 428: Shibuya Scramble, which technically isn't FMV and more like FMP, using live action photos as opposed to videos to tell the story. It doesn't even have voice acting, which I usually dislike, but it's easily one of my favorite visual novels of all time because of its interesting and diverse range of characters, not to mention the endearing story that has a nice balance of different genres, from thriller to romance to action adventure. Plus, the feel-good ending is just so wholesome and charming. The music also really elevated the experience so much that you practically don't need voice-acting to feel the emotions of the characters. Amazingly made visual novel that's very underrated.

19 hours ago, Akun said:

Late Shift was probably my favorite FMV game for an obvious reason: its branching narrative. It's just too bad that replaying the game to explore different possibilities is so tedious. It needs a better save mechanic. Otherwise, I love the Hollywood thriller adventure story that isn't just another mystery whodunit like most FMV games.

Late Shift is one game that's been wasting on my backlog for a very long time now. I never got into playing it and I think that it's been long enough. I will try and make out time for the game. I'm guessing you have already completed it, how long does it take to complete it? 

18 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Late Shift is one game that's been wasting on my backlog for a very long time now. I never got into playing it and I think that it's been long enough. I will try and make out time for the game. I'm guessing you have already completed it, how long does it take to complete it? 

Four hours maybe for one playthrough; half a day or so for replaying the other routes. It's been a long time since I last played it, but I can't remember if I've ever completed it because, like I said, the save mechanic (or rather, the lack thereof) sucks. I think I just didn't bother replaying at some point because doing so would mean going through the entire game again and picking another route.

Edited by Akun

2 minutes ago, Akun said:

Four hours maybe for one playthrough; half a day or so for replaying the other routes. It's been a long time since I last played it, but I can't remember if I've ever completed it because, like I said, the save mechanic (or rather, the lack thereof) sucks. I think I just didn't bother replaying at some point because doing so would mean going through the entire game again and picking another route.

Thanks @Akunfor the update, that's helpful. I'm going to start playing it hopefully by next weekend, I'll give update about my progress with it. They definitely needed to do something about the game's save's mechanics.