Register Now
StaceyPowers

Seizure/visual problems with gunfire in shooters

I've never had any issues myself with playing any video games. I know there's lots of people who suffer from seizures and I can see the flashing lights coming from gunfire in video games triggering seizures to those who are photosensitive. It's not just from FPS games either, in 1993 a parent tried suing Nintendo and blamed their games for their 14 year old son dying from a seizure he suffered after playing Super Mario. Then in 2002 another person tried suing Nintendo because her 30 year old son suffered a seizure after playing his N64. Kind of ridiculous to try and sue Nintendo over this when they clearly have warnings in their manuals. Plus the 30 year old allegedly played his N64 for 48 hours straight a week.

I know people who struggle with this also struggle with watching movies and etc sometimes just from a sudden change in lighting. I think it would be difficult for video game creators to necessarily prevent all of this, because you just can't while still creating a story and a game. Perhaps some of the effects could be dulled and this would be helpful? I wonder how easy it would be to add this into a game rather than creating a whole game with less effects. I know people use the colorblind accessibility features even if they don't struggle with colorblindness. It's a feature that was added in, so I wonder if a similar feature could be added but for seizure inducing graphics. 

Yes, there are definitely other people who are affected by this issue. Many individuals with photosensitive epilepsy or visual sensitivities struggle with certain visual effects in video games. Having an option to switch off these effects would be a helpful accessibility feature for them to enjoy gaming without triggering seizures or discomfort.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:36 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I know two people who are unable to play most shooters because the gun effects trigger their seizures/visual sensitivities. Is anyone else here affected by this? I feel like games should just have a option to switch off these effects.

Well, if such shooting games with gun effects that trigger their seizures/visual sensitivities doesn't have any switch off mode for such effects, those people doesn't have any other choice left but to stop playing the game. It's as simple as that, there's no two ways about it.