Register Now
Shagger

PUBG Developer Looking to turn a Successful Series of Korean Novels into the "Next Witcher"

Krafton are in the very early stages of developing a a dark fantasy epic based upon "The Bird That Drinks Tears" and essentially do for this novel series what CDPR did for The Witcher, turn an acclaimed, but only locally successful, book series into an international IP through video games. The as yet untiled project under the working title "Project Windless" does now have a concept trailer running in-engine (Unreal Engine 5) that you can see below.

I actually head about this via the man who is the VA for the main protagonist in this trailer. A lot of you know him as YouTube video games pundit and commentator YongYea and he announced his involvement on his channel. Find that video below.

Hiring a popular youtuber as a voice actor didn't exactly hurt Final Fantasy VII Re-Make, so why not. He's really good in the trailer and I hope this becomes a more permanent role when the game goes further into it's development.

Anyway, onto the trailer itself. This does give off some very dark, but intriguing vibes. It does feel a lot like a darker version of The Witcher. I'm a little unsure about the developer, though. Let me put it this way, Krafton are no CDPR. I never rated PUBG that much as a game and they have been guilty of some shady shit in the past for me, like how long they kept that game in so-called "beta" whilst raking in a fortune on microtransactions. Not to mention that PUBG was mostly made up of pre-built assets , so I question if Krafton can pull this off, but I wish them the best for this as it does look promising.

For more info, check out these articles from The Verge and PCGamesn.

Edited by Shagger

This video is not made by CDPR, jsut sone random CGI/3D studio that show what UE5 can do and use popular game series for that. You can also see a Bully UE5, Mario UE5 etc and they all look weird because these studios have no sense of artistic direction and they all try to produce an ultra realistic rendering which is often souless.

It's a tech demo in the end so it doesn't really mater but it also shows that good graphics without a good art direction is pretty worthless

5 hours ago, Empire said:

This video is not made by CDPR, jsut sone random CGI/3D studio that show what UE5 can do and use popular game series for that. You can also see a Bully UE5, Mario UE5 etc and they all look weird because these studios have no sense of artistic direction and they all try to produce an ultra realistic rendering which is often souless.

It's a tech demo in the end so it doesn't really mater but it also shows that good graphics without a good art direction is pretty worthless

No, check the topic.

Nobody said this was made by CDPR. The trailer is concept trailer made by PUBG developer Krafton for an upcoming game that plan to make based on a series of Korean novels. I (and others) have compared this to The Witcher and CDPR because what Krafton are planning here is essentially the same thing as what CDPR did for The Witcher. Bring an acclaimed novel series that isn't really known outside of its country of origin and turn it into an international IP. 

The pretty pictures and video clips are nice, but the words in between are important as well.

Edited by Shagger