Register Now
Knight Plug

Tormented Souls 2

Honestly, there's too little here to really generate much to say. I will say that I am a little concerned with the way this game looks. There's a difference between retro and dated, and this digital FMV stuff from the late 90's into the 2000's I'd definitely describe as dated because back then it was never a stylistic choice, that was thier best attempt to make a game look realistic. It's not the same thing as, let's say, pixel graphics because even though it was a style through necessity as the tech was limited, it was style none the less. The last few seconds in particular with the girl struggling with her lighter really do look like shit.

Edited by Shagger

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

Honestly, there's too little here to really generate much to say. I will say that I am a little concerned with the way this game looks. There's a difference between retro and dated, and this digital FMV stuff from the late 90's into the 2000's I'd definitely describe as dated because back then it was never a stylistic choice, that was thier best attempt to make a game look realistic. It's not the same thing as, let's say, pixel graphics because even though it was a style through necessity as the tech was limited, it was style none the less. The last few seconds in particular with the girl struggling with her lighter really do look like shit.

I can't argue with much that you said, but I'm feeling like I'm seeing a different trailer than you. The graphics in the one I'm seeing are pretty realistic, if you ask me. And the lighter issue just adds another element to the anxiety. Especially since a light will give off just a little big of light. Not enough to really see anything if it isn't right up on you. I think the game looks promising. I'll probably end up picking it when it finally drops.

I think the camera really helped to immerse you in the horror world, but ever since it went to over the shoulder, the gameplay in survival horror titles has been more action focused, hereby removing a lot of that horror appeal from the classic era.

To be honest, no new RE game is really that scary. But in my opinion, The Evil Within 2 has one of the most impressive bosses in Laura. That game also feels genuinely creepy because of the atmosphere, despite it having the same type of gameplay style as RE4. Although perhaps the story didn't make much sense. Because I don't think they actually revealed what the hell this Silent Hill-like world called STEM was supposed to be.

In general, I don't think there's many "scary" modern horror games, because most of them have too much cheesy action, and characters in RE games are more like superheroes nowadays. There's also certain games where you can't fight back. You can only flee. And meh. Not being able to retaliate much just feels lame.

Even Ethan (a seemingly normal guy) wasn't so normal either. LOL. He was ordinary up until the mould got him all suped up.

2 hours ago, Knight Plug said:

In general, I don't think there's many "scary" modern horror games, because most of them have too much cheesy action

If you want an awesome horror game, you should check out Layers Of Fear: Legacy. There's no combat in it, as it focuses more on the psychological terror aspect. If you've ever seen Rose Red, then you'll have an idea what the game is like. It's available on just about all platforms, so you should be able to get it no matter what you prefer to game on. I just went with the Switch trailer because it was the first one to pop up.