Register Now
Shagger

It's 2023, And Atari Are Releasing a New Game For The 2600

That's right, even after 46 years, Atari are making a brand new game for the Atari 2600. Full story from Yahoo.

0fd603b0-6471-11ee-b638-042e11fa353b.png.ee0672e8a3aa57f3dd426e709fbb22e7.png

Pre-orders are now open for Save Mary, a game two years in making by veteran Atari staffer Tod Frye, the same man behind the 2600 port of Pac Man and the Swordquest series. This is a proper, physical copy of a fully licensed 2600 game, so it's not like the fan made games that people have been continuing to make for the console over the years. This is truly fascinating to me that we still new games made for such an old console. Best of luck to Atari in this venture.

Edited by Shagger

This is just weird. Gamers of today mostly don't even know of the existence of Atari. The ones born in the 90's through the 21st century, anyway. Would people be having the same reaction if Nintendo released a new game for the NES? I highly doubt it. As, once again, the younger gamers of today don't even know what an NES is.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time, unless they're releasing a new Atari to go with it.

I think this is pretty cool actually! Sure there's plenty of homebrew that does get released, but to see a veteran game developer make a new commercially licensed game for the 2600 is awesome. I know Atari just released a new 2600 model, so this is perfect timing. I'm sure the gamers who grew up with the 2600 are happy.

I grew up on the 2600, Colecovision, and then the Nintendo systems starting with the NES. I was also a Sega gamer. There were other companies in the mix later, but that’s just where I got started into gaming.

All that rambling taken care of, a company coming back 40 years later and releasing a game for their original console that released in 1977, just seems weird as hell to me.

Edited by The Blackangel