Register Now
Kane99

Microsoft to discontinue Windows Mixed Reality

Source - https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/21/24010787/microsoft-windows-mixed-reality-deprecated

Looks like Xbox is done with AR and VR, at least in regards to making their own VR/AR headsets and devices. Along with this, they removed the Mixed Reality Portal app and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. This also looks to include the Hololens. 

I guess it makes sense for them to move on from VR considering there are so many different headset options out there. Microsoft could easily just use one of the available VR headsets on their hardware. 

It seems that Xbox is no longer focusing on creating their own VR/AR headsets and devices. They have removed the Mixed Reality Portal app and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR, including the Hololens. It makes sense for them to utilize existing VR headsets instead of creating their own.

I'm not surprised really. They never seemed that invested in VR/AR technology from the jump so I'm not surprised that they'd abandon the project. Plus, there are far better VR headsets out there so it's a good decision by Microsoft.