Register Now
Kane99

Retro consoles and peripherals/adapters to play them on HDTVs

I know there are mods you can do to older consoles to make them play on HDTVs, but I'd rather not go that route as I don't like to modify my consoles. I found an adapter for the Xbox called the XBHD from a company called Eon Gaming. It's a plug-in adapter that connects to your original Xbox's video connection. So no hacking or modding needed. It also has ethernet capabilities, so you can probably take it online with this. 

You can get one here - https://www.eongaming.tech/product-page/xbhd-1 It's expensive though at $149.99. But if you want to play it on an HDTV, it looks to be the better alternative to modding. They also have an N64, and a few GameCube versions, which put out 480p, but expensive at around $159.99 each. Do you guys know of any others, maybe cheaper alternatives? Ones for a PS2, PS1, NES, and pretty much any retro console out there. Most newer HDTVs don't come with the usual connections, often just supporting HDMI. I think some TVs even skip out on component connections. 

I know you can buy component cables for the PS2, and I think Xbox as well, but I think they're hard to come by last time I checked. At least nothing too cheap. I see a lot of cheap stuff on Amazon that I'm unsure I'd trust. Do you have any suggestions for adapters to play NES, SNES, N64, PS2, Xbox, and any other retro consoles on HD without the needs for modding? 

On 3/14/2024 at 3:36 PM, HowHammerYou said:

Pound Cables are supposed to be really good. I still want to get one for my Gamecube, the only 6th-gen console I still have plugged in. I think they output 1080P.

There's one called Hyperkin that's been recommended on a lot of gaming sites and sub-reddits for use on HDTVs. You can check it out.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:46 PM, killamch89 said:

There's one called Hyperkin that's been recommended on a lot of gaming sites and sub-reddits for use on HDTVs. You can check it out.

I don't recommend the Hyperkin cables. I've bought two cables for the Sega Genesis and both of them crapped out on me. I like Hyperkin's controllers though, it's a shame their HD adapters for the Genesis aren't reliable. I did get a Xbox HD adapter too, but I haven't used my original Xbox in a while so I'm not sure if the cord still works or not.