Register Now
Kane99

New Xbox Devkit Certified In Korea, Could Be Next-Gen Console

This is just a rumor for now, but we are getting closer and closer to a new Xbox console, so the idea that some countries are getting devkits isn't far from reality. If a new console is coming, this could signal that an announcement could be coming soon as well. The rumors are that some South Korean developers are testing out the new devkits for an upcoming Xbox console. It could also be a rumored handheld console that some allege Xbox is interested in making. 

What I hope it's not, is a new version of the Series X|S and is actual news of a new Xbox console. Even if it's a handheld, I think it'd be great to know more. A user on X first brought up the news, as they found a certification granted by Xbox themselves, and it's also said the certificate mentions a device name being XDK Console, which comes out to be Xbox Development Kit. 

Now, this could just be a group asking for a new devkit for current Xbox consoles for all we know, but I wonder if it could actually be the next console. If so, I assume other devs have the devkit, but just haven't revealed those details yet like that X user did. 

Read more on this news here: https://gameshorizon.com/news/new-xbox-devkit-certified-in-korea-could-be-next-gen-console-rumor/

If it's a whole new console in the Xbox line, I think a handheld would be a good idea. Sony and obviously Nintendo have hit the handheld market. Nintendo did it 30+ years ago. Sony had mild success with the PSP and PSVita. Sega had it's handheld consoles, those being the Game Gear and Sega Nomad. So pretty much every game console that has hit the market has had some form of run with a handheld, except Xbox. Of the ones that saw some form of success and became a major contender in the console market anyway. So I'm all for an Xbox handheld. If it's not, and is a home console, then I think it's just too goddamn soon to be worrying about a new console. Give the X/S some time to be enjoyed before forcing people to "upgrade" their consoles.

Yet another indication that the 10th gen might be starting in 2026 instead of 2028. Honestly, I'm all for that. I'd much rather see a new console every 6 years than see a new console, a mid-gen refresh 4 years later, and a new console 4 years after that.

Whatever happens, I really hope we get a third company competing with Sony and MS next gen to shake things up. The 2-company hegemony is getting stale.

Honestly, I'm not pumped if this is a new generation of Xbox. There just hasn't been anything within the tech space boasting an innovation worth getting existed about in recent years. The fast SSD's and power boost for the PS5 and Xbox Series X were well implemented and used to great affect, but did little to change the gameplay experience. Xbox have been especially guilty of doing nothing other than basic hardware upgrades over the last two generations of console, so a new a new Xbox home console does not boil my pasta. An Xbox handheld, now that is a little more interesting, but that aforementioned lack of innovation from Xbox leaves me worried that it's just going to be a copy of the Steam Deck and other recent PC handhelds.

Edited by Shagger