Register Now
killamch89

Favorite Video Game Villains: What Makes Them Compelling?

Hey everyone! Let's talk about our favorite video game villains. Who stands out to you and why? Whether it's their backstory, motivations, or just sheer charisma, share what makes them compelling! Looking forward to hearing your picks and discussing what makes these characters so memorable.

On 4/18/2024 at 4:48 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't praise villains. 

You should.

1 hour ago, Kennysplash said:

😅 I opened the topic to say this. If I find them compelling then they are not villains anymore. If I like them then I will find it hard to win. I want to win. 

And I can't help but feel you have both missed the point.  The best villains not only have a lot to admire about them, I'd got so far to say they kind of have to actually work.  Who wouldn't want to be as tenacious as the Terminator, as intelligent as Hannibal Lector or have the power of Darth Vader.  It's the fact they use (or perhaps miss use) thier talents to do evil things when they could have done a lot of good with those said talents is what makes them villains.  Without that choice, a villain is little more than a force of nature.  Nobody get's mad at the iceberg that sank the Titanic, so the movie needed a bad guy, and they got one.  A man who is clearly industrious and successful, but also controlling, selfish and ruthless.  One obviously doesn't have to agree with or condone what a villain does and says, but it is important to understand thier motivations.  Without that, a story has no drive, no conflict and just isn't interesting.  

So it's OK to find a villain compelling and even admirable to some extend.  All that means is that they are a well written character, not that you are flawed and amoral as a person.

Anyway, favourite video game villains.  Sylens from Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden west in certainly up thier.    A wonderfully written and deeply complex character performed with charisma and dignity by the late Lance Reddick.  The man is so begrudgingly useful yet about as selfish as a person can get.  It goes back to those admirable qualities I spoke of earlier.  The man is so intelligent, creative and brutally honest to a fault, but not at all trustworthy and in the end he only serves his own purpose and if that means being on your side one minute then against you the next, then so be it.  His very existence is an absolute frustration, I love to hate him.