Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best Character-Driven Games?

If you’ve seen more than a couple of my posts around here, you probably know that I’m obsessed with The Last of Us. There are a hundred reasons I could give, but probably the main one is that it’s a strong character-driven narrative, and it was easy for me to feel like I was walking in Joel’s and Ellie’s shoes. I got really attached to them, and even though it’s been months since I finished the game, I still think about it at some point of the day on most days.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for other character-driven video games with compelling storylines like The Last of Us?

I find Japanese games often have compelling stories and characters. JRPGs and visual novels especially. I'm currently playing Octopath Traveler and one of the characters, Primrose, has one of the best game backstories I've come across. 

Visual novels are text-heavy like traditional novels but they also have visuals and audio. Hence, "visual novel". A number of these have gameplay as well. Some of the best game-y visual novels I've come across are Ace Attorney, Zero Escape and Danganronpa. They all have great stories and characters. 

On 7/22/2018 at 12:51 PM, fantanoice said:

I'm currently playing Octopath Traveler and one of the characters, Primrose, has one of the best game backstories I've come across. 

Aye, Primrose has an incredible story--it reminds me a lot of Arya Stark from Game Of Thrones. 

Hmm, I think Naughty Dog's Uncharted series has some strong and iconic characters. Telltale's The Walking Dead, Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human all have very fully fleshed out characters, as well. They all genuinely feel like real people, which is a hell of a feat for a video game to achieve.