Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why do people let themselves lose followers and pets in games?

So often, I see people on forums mentioning that so-and-so (one of their followers) died, or that they lost their horse and needed to replace it, etc. in various games.

My question is … how and why does this even happen in a lot of games?

In Skyrim for example, I cannot see any reason you would ever need to lose a follower. I save so frequently in that game because of its rampant glitches and bugs that I usually only lose a few minutes of progress if a follower dies and I need to reload a prior save.

And in RDR, people say they go through horses like crazy, but likewise, I never seem to have to go back very far to get a dead horse back.

Is it just that other people forget to save for hours on end? Or is it that they are attempting to raise the stakes/make the game feel more realistic by letting follower deaths be permanent?

Other than plotline deaths, most follower deaths are entirely preventable from what I can see, and in many cases aren't permanent in any capacity.

I do prefer when it's permanent, though. It's not so much that I "let" them die, though, so much that I was unable to save them in that moment. I got Cass killed in Fallout: New Vegas because I was in Hardcore mode and was under-equipped to finish her questline. I turned Hardcore mode on because it raises the realism a smidge, including allowing most, if not all, of the game's companions to die permanently.

See, it's not that I'm a heartless bastard who sends his companions on suicide missions, it's that, if the death is permanent, it makes me care about their well-being that much more. If the Arbiter gets taken out in Halo 3, it's no big deal to me; he'll get right back up a little later. If any of my allies in Fallout: New Vegas die, I actually feel that.

Immortal allies kind of brings out a certain level of complacency that doesn't happen when your allies can't walk away from attacks that should rightfully atomize them.

My followers tend to be used as guinea pigs in Skyrim so I do tend to lose them at times🤣. For Instance, there are a couple of Dragons raising hell in Whiterun Plains - my game is, of course, modded so Dragons in my version of Skyrim are ridiculously hard to kill. I tend to bait the Dragon with an attack and while my Follower is out there fighting the Dragon I make a run for it especially in the early game.