Register Now
Sign in to follow this  
The Blackangel

Rac(ial/ist) Standup

What is your thought about racial/racist standup? Now by this I need to add a bit of context before you decide. What I'm asking is you see a comedian who is your own ethnicity. Chris Rock for black people, Gabriel Iglesias for Hispanic People, George Carlin for white people, etc. etc. When that person makes racist jokes towards their own race or uses racial slurs about their own race, do you laugh, whether you're the same race or not? Now flip it a bit. Do you laugh when that comedian makes racial/racist jokes about another race? Does it bother you in any way? The reason I'm asking is because the reason in their case is different. They're on stage trying to make people laugh. It's their job. They're not some random asshole running around calling people whatever slur is assigned to whatever race it is that they encounter on the street.

Take this George Calin clip as an example:

What do you think?

Comedy like that can be funny but the rules have defintely changed. I feel like a white comedian making jokes about other races would be considered off limits while white people seem to be the punching bag of another's set

I've noticed that too. If a white person makes a joke about a black/Hispanic/Asian/ Arabic or whatever person, then here comes the pitchforks and torches. But If any race/ethnicity makes jokes about white people, then that's perfectly OK. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why are we banned from making jokes, but no one else is? I guess white people are the evil of society. Who's next?