Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are you optimistic about the next BioShock game?

So, I missed this a couple of months back. 2K is apparently getting into developing the next BioShock game. I feel both excited and nervous about this. It is hard picturing BioShock without Ken Levine (I’m assuming he won’t be involved), but he wasn’t there for BioShock 2, and that game was excellent IMO (and criminally underrated). It seemed to have plenty of his creative influence in it, and was a surprisingly close thematic match for BioShock Infinite after it.

It is hard for me to know where to go after Infinite—that game felt so “ultimate” to me. But to be honest, Burial at Sea seemed like such a mixed bag philosophically, and almost seemed to undo some of the awesome stuff Infinite did regarding the redemption arcs of its characters. I think if I were making a BioShock game, I’d start there—not necessarily doing anything else with Booker or Elizabeth, but addressing some of the questions and loose ends philosophically that Burial at Sea left hanging.

What about you? Are you excited for a future BioShock game? Nervous? Where would you go with it?

@skyfire Tagging you because I know you're a big fan of the series and I'd like your thoughts.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:17 AM, kingpotato said:

I heard it was going to be an MMO 🤔 I havent played infinite yet, but if its a new game I would love to see a different setting/city , I feel like Rapture has already been explored enough.

I think I could go for a game that takes place in Rapture before the fall, just so we could see a bit more of what it was like than we did in Burial at Sea. But I also would prefer a new city. It's a big multiverse, after all.

Not sure how I'd feel about an MMO ... 

Edited by StaceyPowers

On 2/15/2020 at 5:35 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I think I could go for a game that takes place in Rapture before the fall, just so we could see a bit more of what it was like than we did in Burial at Sea. But I also would prefer a new city. It's a big multiverse, after all.

Not sure how I'd feel about an MMO ... 

Thats what I expect as well, I havent played Infinite but I am aware of the multiverse and I would rather play another Bioshock game based on that premise. I wouldn't mind if they make an MMO based on Bioshock as long as they give us another good single player Bioshock game.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:21 AM, kingpotato said:

Thats what I expect as well, I havent played Infinite but I am aware of the multiverse and I would rather play another Bioshock game based on that premise. I wouldn't mind if they make an MMO based on Bioshock as long as they give us another good single player Bioshock game.

Exactly, that sounds good to me.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, skyfire said:

I think MMO would kill the loyal fan following who loved the 1 and 2. It seems like tangent to make MMO or even anything that does not have plot to follow. 

That is where I am at too. I mean, I won’t mind if there is an MMO, as long as there is not only an MMO. If for no other reason than “more cool maps to explore,” an MMO could be fun. In which case, I guess a straight up arena shooter would work for me.

But there needs to be a single player game. People who play BioShock games come for the worlds, the stories, the characters, the political, philosophical and social commentary, and the ambiance. You can have ambiance anywhere, but you need a single player narrative to really create a top-shelf experience with the rest.

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That is where I am at too. I mean, I won’t mind if there is an MMO, as long as there is not only an MMO. If for no other reason than “more cool maps to explore,” an MMO could be fun. In which case, I guess a straight up arena shooter would work for me.

For some reasons more maps with some storyline is required. Because for those who played franchise long enough, that would be the justice for them.