Register Now
StaceyPowers

Did the Fireflies in TLOU ever actually achieve anything positive?

I am right about to wrap up my second complete playthrough of TLOU and Left Behind (I will probably be done with Left Behind again in a couple of days).

Reflecting on the role of the Fireflies throughout the game as well as what relatively scant information we actually learn about them, I am trying to figure out if they actually made any positive and viable contribution to the world at any point. It seems to me they were largely a failing organization, and arguably, however idealistic, another group of thugs in their own way. What do you think?

On 4/23/2020 at 10:52 AM, kingpotato said:

Yeah I never did quite understood the role of the fireflies myself. It seems that they where sometype of rebel group that was against of what was left of goverment or law forces. If they actually did any good at all its hard to say.

For that matter, I am always trying to figure out if the remaining military was really as bad as they came across. We got a terrible initial impression of them at the start of the game because of Sarah, and obviously they couldn't do an ideal job managing the crisis afterward, but they did at least maintain the quarantine zones.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, StaceyPowers said:

For that matter, I am always trying to figure out if the remaining military was really as bad as they came across. We got a terrible initial impression of them at the start of the game because of Sarah, and obviously they couldn't do an ideal job managing the crisis afterward, but they did at least maintain the quarantine zones.

Warning: Spoilers

Executing people on the spot that test positive for the virus is not a humane practice even during an apocalypse. Blood can catch on someone else etc. And I'm talking about many years later when Joel and Tess started off in the QZ, and opening scene as you walk out they lined up those people on the ground, scanned them, and executed one. Plus the 3 escaped the quarantine zone remember? So they failed. 

The fireflies turned into what they opposed by forcing Ellie to give her life for a cure.