Register Now
StaceyPowers

What side do you prefer in the Skyrim Dawnguard DLC?

I just started the main quest line in the Dawnguard DLC in Skyrim, and have wound up siding with the vampires simply because I can’t stand Stendarr—but neither side really seems all that appealing or easy to empathize with. For those who have played Dawnguard, which side do you usually prefer, and why?

Vampires are sentient and in full control of their impulses in this game as far as I can tell. Because of that, you can't fully blame their actions on instinct or a beastly nature alone, there is a conscience making their act's of violence a choice. The Vigilants of Stendarr and the Dawngaurd, whilst justified in their level of hatred for Vampires, I don't think are justified in their reasons why. Yes, Vampires murder, but it seems the Vigilants reasons are more religious than moral and that makes me think that's what's really getting in the way and forcing vampires to live as hunters and vagrants.

No, a Vampires actions in this game cannot be justified, but can they be explained by the fact that this society has left them with no choice? There're humans in the game just as, if not more brutal, merciless and senseless in their violent actions. The Dawnguard are doing the right thing by trying to eradicate the threat, but I can't help but feel there's an even better option that neither side would be willing to accept

For the game, I feel the path in support of the Vampire is more interesting, but that's just me.

15 hours ago, Shagger said:

. Yes, Vampires murder, but it seems the Vigilants reasons are more religious than moral and that makes me think that's what's really getting in the way and forcing vampires to live as hunters and vagrants.

This is pretty much how I feel about the Forsworn situation in the Reach, albeit the oppressors' motives are based in pure greed. Great analysis--and we seem to share a lot of sensibilities with ethical outlooks, I've noticed.

I mentioned in the other thread that being a Werewolf isn't worth it and I think if anything being a Vampire is even less worth while, the drawbacks FAR outweigh the advantages.  The powers of the Vampire lord are more useful in combat than the Werewolf but they are still no stronger than a good build.  You've also got the sunlight issue which affects your ability to explore or even fast travel effectively in combination with having to feed which if you're in a town risks getting bounties and being attacked by the guards if you're caught.  Then there's a whole new skill tree you gotta deal with....  It's just too taxing in my opinion.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, Crazycrab said:

in combination with having to feed which if you're in a town risks getting bounties and being attacked by the guards if you're caught. 

While technically a drawback, I look at the feeding part more as a fun kind of challenge/mission. It’s kind of like doing the thief quests, except the thing I am stealthily steeling isn’t a candlestick, it’s blood.