Register Now
skyfire

The Pathless

I'm sceptical about this. Graphically, it looks overbearing with an overly intense colour palate and the mechanics look a bit too "be different for the sake of being different" if you know what I mean. They are creative, I won't deny that, but sometime being creative overshadows common sense. There's good reasons nobody ever used a bow as a persistent movement mechanic. It'd be cool for about 5 minutes and then make no sense at all. The combat looks like some kind of pre-scripted, on-the-rails type of deal and whilst it may look left field and creative, you don't design an open world game without a map.

Story? Well, I think they got the name wrong. It's not "The Pathless", it's "The Goalless". The less than subtle environmental message is unoriginal and not a huge incentive to play this game for any length of time. I have nothing against pro environmental messages in fictional media, but I like the more subtle, clever approach to it, like Avatar: The Last Airbender. This feels like the more the "shove it in your face", Captain Planet Approach.

Sorry, but I just don't feel this.

Edited by Shagger

It seems like the type of game that would appeal more to us that are classic gamers. Modern gamers are typically driven by more heavily scripted and in depth games.For example if you compare Skyrim to Zelda 2. On NES, Zelda 2 was about as open world as it got. And there was no map. No one had a clue where they were going, or what they were doing without a shitload of trial and error. No, not Error (he was a pointless asshole). But finding the temples was next to impossible. Ad when you did there was no knowing if you were in the right one. They looked 100% exactly alike. More so than the first Zelda. It truly got confusing. Now if you take Skyrim, everything is new and different. You probably won't be doing the same thing twice. At least it seems that way from the limited amount of time I have spent playing it.

Classic gamers love simplicity. Modern gamers love complexity. It all boils down to that.