Register Now
StaceyPowers

Companies that owe their success to modders

I don't think there's all that many. You can certainly count hundreds of games that owe their success to mods, from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to Counter-Strike, but any companies I think owe success to mods and their modders are a stretch.

Blizzard for instance owes credit to the people behind the Dawn of the Ancients (DotA) mod for Warcraft III, and even admit it when one reads the End User License Agreement (EULA) for Warcraft III Reforged, which states more or less that any mods people make belong to Blizzard entirely. Spiteful to the end, they can't admit they didn't capitalise on the MOBA craze when Valve obtained the rights to DotA 2, and continue to keep Heroes of the Storm (HotS) riding on its progenitor's coattails.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, StaceyPowers said:

@killamch89 mentioned Bethesda owing a lot of its success to its modding community. What are some other video game publishers/devs that likewise lean heavily on modders for success?

I don't really think the company's success should be attached to ideas of modders. In fact, the modders came to the fold with the game existing in the first place, so they took from the game first. It's a win win situation for both of them.