Register Now
skyfire

Balan Wonderworld

Wasn't there a free demo for this game?

This was one of my most anticipated games for this year, but this trailer, oof. I’m seriously hoping they can get this thing properly polished in time for launch, I’d honestly be okay with a delay altogether if that’s what it needs. I just really want this game to be the best it can be, and I sincerely hope whoever’s in charge wants that as well. What's others thoughts on this game?

I looked this up to see if it was coming to Steam and of course it's already on my wishlist! It looks like a good game but the graphical fidelity and flashiness leaves a lot to be desired. I'm going to give the demo a whirl and see if this is worth its, err, £49.99 price tag? Let's hope it sees the steep discounts other Squenix published games do shortly after release.

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I looked this up to see if it was coming to Steam and of course it's already on my wishlist! It looks like a good game but the graphical fidelity and flashiness leaves a lot to be desired. I'm going to give the demo a whirl and see if this is worth its, err, £49.99 price tag? Let's hope it sees the steep discounts other Squenix published games do shortly after release.

It's not cheap, in fact, I say it's overpriced for a game like that, I mean it's not even that big and any PC that is the low end can run this with no problems. If you do try the demo let me know what the demo has to offer and if it's a good enough game to be worth of getting it   But it's way to high for my cup of tea. 🙂

1 hour ago, Empire said:

It's not cheap, in fact, I say it's overpriced for a game like that, I mean it's not even that big and any PC that is the low end can run this with no problems. If you do try the demo let me know what the demo has to offer and if it's a good enough game to be worth of getting it   But it's way to high for my cup of tea. 🙂

I'm massively into 3D platformers and even I think it's too expensive. It has to be the bee's knees to justify its price tag. I shall let you know in about ~2 hours' time when I'm able to download it. ^^

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm massively into 3D platformers and even I think it's too expensive. It has to be the bee's knees to justify its price tag. I shall let you know in about ~2 hours' time when I'm able to download it. ^^

An update on my experience so far:

The opening cutscene shows a very charismatic Balan, not unlike Goro Majima's intro in Yakuza 0 which is honestly one of the best intros to a character I've ever seen. But beyond that, I'm left completely clueless as to what I'm supposed to do. Some sad people go to Balan's Wonderland, watch a show and are sucked into this make-believe world.... for reasons? The trailer says something about a soul-sucking force preventing people from being happy, but the game has yet to make an effort to explain this.

It's a hub-based  platformer, with a Chao Garden or Super Mario Galaxy-like mechanic where you've got to feed these Tims....? You enter levels, find these jewels to feed the Tims, and collect statues. I've yet to discover why, but I have little hope of the game telling me. In the levels there's different forms you can unlock but I lost one upon dying, and couldn't get it back. That form was required to progress, and I needed to restart the entire level to get it again. Maybe tomorrow.

It's a shame that the game doesn't have anywhere near the charm and substance of Visual Works' cinematics, looking like Fur Fun or some other attempt to rip off Yooka-Laylee that you'd find on Steam Greenlight with a whole host of developer nonsense. The worlds are as incohesive as the barely understandable plot, and there's only so much I can put down to this being a demo. I'll remind you, and the devs for that matter, that this game comes out on the 26th of March 2021. If the game looks anything like it does here, it cannot begin to justify its price tag.

This said I could end up liking this game, but nobody in their right mind should be OK with the price tag attached to this. The most fun I'll have with this is writing a review for the paper.

15 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

This said I could end up liking this game, but nobody in their right mind should be OK with the price tag attached to this. The most fun I'll have with this is writing a review for the paper.

True that seems to be the case with many switch based games. they are super expensive. and they are not like 10 level deep games either. so price tag does not sound like fair to me.