Register Now
Kane99

Are you okay with reproductions being on the market?

Reproductions are a big thing in the gaming community. You've probably seen Ebay listings and other sites that sell reproduction carts, labels, manuals and boxes. There are some who label "reproduction" on what they reproduce, but there are some who don't include that distinction and they try to pass it off as real. 

Do you worry that with more and more reproductions being on the market, that it will cause confusion among collectors? I know most pro collectors know the difference, but there are people who may be just getting into retro collecting and they may end up spending too much on a fake game. 

I'm all for reproduction boxes, manuals, labels, etc, but as long as it clearly states as such. Because maybe you have a cart where the label is non-existant, and a repro label in that case would be fine, but only if it states as such. Because what would stop someone from slapping a label on any cart and saying it's Little Samson or something. That sort of thing happens often I imagine. 

But yeah, what are your thoughts on this?

Little Samson is one of the most faked and reproduced games in the industry. The real thing can fetch $6000 easily. For those of us who are classic, or "retro" as most put it, gamers, a fake is easier to spot than a monkey in your bedroom. Counterfeiters are always trying to put one over on us, but their attempts are blown when we look into it. The colors could be wrong on the label, there could be the wrong amount of screws on the cart, the circuits could have the wrong solder, they could have the wrong processor chip, and tons of other things. Like I said, fakes stick out hard.

If someone wants to make a repro so people can play and enjoy the game without having to take out a mortgage, then I'm all for that. It's a kind thing to do for your fellow gamers. But they need to explicitly say that it's a repro and not authentic. When they try to pass said game off as authentic is when I have a problem.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:28 AM, The Blackangel said:

Little Samson is one of the most faked and reproduced games in the industry. The real thing can fetch $6000 easily. For those of us who are classic, or "retro" as most put it, gamers, a fake is easier to spot than a monkey in your bedroom. Counterfeiters are always trying to put one over on us, but their attempts are blown when we look into it. The colors could be wrong on the label, there could be the wrong amount of screws on the cart, the circuits could have the wrong solder, they could have the wrong processor chip, and tons of other things. Like I said, fakes stick out hard.

If someone wants to make a repro so people can play and enjoy the game without having to take out a mortgage, then I'm all for that. It's a kind thing to do for your fellow gamers. But they need to explicitly say that it's a repro and not authentic. When they try to pass said game off as authentic is when I have a problem.

Seriously, it's something that they really need to be specific about when putting it out in the market. At least, those who take it up would because they wanted to and not because they were mislead.