Register Now
Knight Plug

Why the hell is Naughty Dog remaking The Last of Us?

I think they are going to have TLOU remake and TLOU2 together for the ps5 around the time for the show. But I don't see how very many people will buy it and beat the game before the show especially when most of us still have to get the ps5. It's marketing the show, that's for sure. For those new to the series, I think the game package and show is pretty exciting. They can get a new system, one of the best games (2 of them), and a show to go with it. Not bad if you think about it. It sounds stupid remaking it, but we have to give them some credit that they know what they are doing since both their games were GOTY. I don't expect the remake to even be nominated for GOTY, but if all goes well, then maybe the show will have more seasons and more sequels to the game. If only leaves fall straight. 

17 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I'm going to have to disagree, the Last of Us Remastered and the sequal don't play that mutch different (and in some aspects I'd say the sequal is worse).  Even if they did the that's not the heart of the reason l describe the original as "perfect".  It's the storytelling and characters the sell the experience and I just can't see them doing it any better.

The controls and animations in the second game are infinitely better. They don't need to change anything about the story, why do you even bring that up?  Finishing the first game was an utterly  frustrating experience for me, I was close to giving up multiple times, while the second was a good game, it didn't need the story to make it worth playing.

It's not like the Resident Evil or Final Fantasy 7 remakes where new technology has given those developers the opportunity to add to the experience and make significant steps forward.

Au contraire. Just because you are indifferent to the technology leaps doesn't mean they are not there.

If all they are going to do is refine the visuals, A.I, animations and other mechanics to be more like the sequel then it's clearly not worth the effort.  Especially when you consider that The Last of Us is playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility and even on PC via PS Now, I know the latter is not exactly ideal but you can do it.

That's your opinion, just because you are not interested in a remake doesn't mean nobody can.

I agree with @StaceyPowers that this is "superfluous and pointless" waste of Naughty Dog's talents.  They could and should be working on a new Uncharted, TLOU sequel or even a new IP for PS5.  Now it might about 6 or 7 years before we see legitimatly new content from this studio and that is going to hurt the PS5 badly.

Naughty dog is a huge company, I'm sure they can manage to work on multiple projects in parallel. Especially since you need different talents for a remake and a whole new game developed from the grounds up.

"Man's love of money is the root of all evil!" 

So said a very smart person once. 🤑

I would rather have a remake in a distant year. Like, say 2035. That way, they can build up a series, going off of what they have established up to this point. Or at least make the franchise into a trilogy. All good things come in threes, after all. Yes?