Register Now
killamch89

Sony Xperia 1 iii To be Announced on April 14th

God damn, they really did improve on pretty much everything. 4k 120hz? 3 really is the magic number lol. I guess it might be time to upgrade after 5 years. Really happy that Sony seems to have turned the ship around. They could still use a bit better marketing and it would be amazing to see them back in carrier stores so more people could know about them. But I'm also kind of okay with Sony being the black sheep of the smartphone industry. 

I don't see the point of a 4K screen on something that small.  I think even at 2K the pixel density will be so high that you wouldn't see any difference from 1080p.  From a marketing perspective I could see why the feel the need to push higher resolutions in order to sell the new models but it's not practical at all.  I'd radther it stick to 1080p and it be a few hundred dollars less, but typically they gotta go "my dick's bigger than yours".

Edited by Crazycrab

14 hours ago, Empire said:

God damn, they really did improve on pretty much everything. 4k 120hz? 3 really is the magic number lol. I guess it might be time to upgrade after 5 years. Really happy that Sony seems to have turned the ship around. They could still use a bit better marketing and it would be amazing to see them back in carrier stores so more people could know about them. But I'm also kind of okay with Sony being the black sheep of the smartphone industry. 

I've had Sony Xperia phones in the past and to be fair, they were pretty good and reliable. It's just that their marketing and strategy in terms of phone releases left a lot to be desired. I can see a lot of LG fans transitioning to Sony. If they market this phone correctly which is a huge if, then I can see this phone being a hit. That being said, I might get it as my second phone.

13 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't see the point of a 4K screen on something that small.  I think even at 2K the pixel density will be so high that you wouldn't see any difference from 1080p.  From a marketing perspective I could see why the feel the need to push higher resolutions in order to sell the new models but it's not practical at all.  I'd radther it stick to 1080p and it be a few hundred dollars less, but typically they gotta go "my dick's bigger than yours".

That's been the basis of smartphone industry over the past decade. Companies are and should be trying to push the envelope constantly - you're right about the 4k screen resolution but with more 4k content available and 4k being more widely adopted than Quad HD, 4k screen resolution will be the standard in 5 years time.

Just a quick update: you can watch the whole presentation here: Based on what they're saying, the phone is pretty amazing! One of the smart things Sony has started to do is market their phones to photographers, vloggers and other content creators. The Xperia 5 iii is also looking amazing.

18 hours ago, skyfire said:

Most of the SONY products are too much expensive for the output offered. You get far better deal for the money spent on the oppo, xiaomi, tecno like brands. They are also pretty decent too. 

The thing is that Sony has their more Premium offerings marketed to content creators and they would appeal to said people because they still use things like the headphone jack among other features that most other Premium flagships have removed such as microSD cards slots.

The thing I love the most about Sony is that they're not only the only company present in every field of technology and entertainment but they're also the best or one of the best in each of them. They're also great inovators and have a great history. Keep it up. Glad to see that Sony is finally stepping up their marketing game for their Xperia products! My first Android smartphone was a Sony, and I am looking for a new phone I could get this year. Looking forward to this announcement!

15 hours ago, Empire said:

The thing I love the most about Sony is that they're not only the only company present in every field of technology and entertainment but they're also the best or one of the best in each of them. They're also great inovators and have a great history. Keep it up. Glad to see that Sony is finally stepping up their marketing game for their Xperia products! My first Android smartphone was a Sony, and I am looking for a new phone I could get this year. Looking forward to this announcement!

Same here - my first Android phone was also a Sony and it lasted me for YEARS. I'm glad someone out of the bunch is trying to be different and not take away most features (Samsung and Apple).

18 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes they use headphone jack because they produce most of the headphones and the wired accessories. Soon they too will be riding the bluetooth wave like apple does. 

Maybe not because as I said earlier, they're marketing their phones to content creators who are on the go. They may add new features but at least for the foreseeable future, they won't be removing the headphone jack.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:53 PM, skyfire said:

Who knows. The current wireless head phones and the headsets of various types are way easier to hold and also they dont get damaged like the wired ones. I am not sure what could be the long term plans of the sony though. 

Seeing as they're the last manufacturer to have headphone jacks on their Premium devices. In addition to that, the battery life on wireless headphones/earbuds isn't that great with only a few able to last for up to 12 hours. 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, skyfire said:

I think seinheisser and few other brands have demonstrated the 12 hour mark and I think that is good enough considering some people don't stick on the computer that long. 

Seinheissers are expensive though and most people still use wired headphones with their computers except for gamers. Musicians still use it and so do most video and other media content creators because it's still the most high-quality audio experience available.