Register Now
killamch89

Other Cultures That Interest You

As a person who has been travelling quite frequently since I was a child, I've always been interested in different cultures because of how different they operate from the one that I grew up in. From the customs of individuals of other countries, the food the eat and the media that they consume always intrigues me. What cultures interests you and why?

No modern cultures really hold my attention. The only ones that have my interest are ancient cultures. Norse, Greek/Roman, Egyptian, Mayan/Aztec, Scottish Celtic (my personal heritage), Japanese, Chinese, tribal cultures, and several lost civilizations as well. By "lost" I don't mean Atlantis. I mean civilizations like the Olmecs, or the inhabitants of Easter Island. People that we know were here, but have no idea why they disappeared. Only their relics remain to let us know they were here. The Moai of Easter Island, and the giant stone heads of the Olmecs.

I love learning about all the different cultures of the world modern or ancient. I used to watch history videos of ancient civilizations. All of them just fascinate me. Even today, if I visit a place I love to learn about not only present culture, but the history too cause that is what makes culture. When I was a baby, we lived in Okinawa Japan on a military base because my dad was in the military. I was still born in the states though. But we brought back all kinds of furniture and decoration stuff that are actually antique now. But the artistry in the wood work and vases etc are amazing. I own all the furniture now which is over 40 years old and still in great condition. They simply don't make stuff like that in the USA. But we grew up having a lot of respect for them. 

I love to always try food from different areas of the world if I eat out and being around Houston, there are many great ethnic restaurants. Most restaurants in this country aren't even close to what they actually eat in the original country, unless of course you go to an authentic restaurant. Even though my DNA is very mixed, I'm not sure that is what drove me to appreciate all cultures. And that makes me extra sensitive to racism because I just can't fathom the hate. When I did live in the Houston city area, I lived in a white neighborhood, black neighborhood, hispanic, and chinatown. And each one of the areas was diverse itself: white has different European, black has African, Hispanic has people from all over Latin America, and chinatown has everything from southern asian to northern, to Indian, and middle eastern. That was Houston, so I can't say the same for other cities. Was being exposed to different cultures what made me appreciate them more, or my appreciation of different cultures that brought me to live there? I don't know. Because my family sure as hell didn't bring that to the table. 

I can't really say I favor any specific culture. I can go to any country and be amazed by what I learn. The USA itself being diverse, we can learn a lot from the different cultures here, from the people, immigrants, and different regions across the country. The east coast is different from the west, then the dirty south, and the midwest. From deserts to forests to mountains to everglades, to beaches, to the farming plains. Unfortunately, the USA is in a culture war declared by extremists. Where one loves culture, others want to abolish it. I really think they should teach cultural psychology in all grades of school. I took it in college and learned a great deal. For example, something as small as looking someone directly in the eye while talking to them is a sign of aggression in many cultures. I easily see that. "Friends sit side by side; enemies look at each other in the face." And many parts of the world are culturally passive. Which means they tend to shy away from debate. Westernized societies are very opinionated and that brings fear to some. 

I've travelled to Italy and France once and it's pretty amazing. I'm not a fan of people watching, but those Italians are interesting to watch. They really do talk with their hands a lot. It's pretty cool. And please don't put the orange buffoon in that same category. He's a clown. But I would love to visit all the regions my DNA is from. Interestingly, I saw a lot of doppelgängers of myself in France. Was weird. Is that how people feel when they live in an area where everyone is the same??? I will never know. 

Every time I meet someone from another country, no matter where from, it's like we are long lost brothers. Because it's as if Americans are so culturally insensitive, that even a person like me feels lost as does someone that is new to this country. It's refreshing to meet people from another culture. And I am craving some falafel. Mediterranean is my favorite food.  

I've been to almost every island in the Caribbean, and the cultures down there vary quite a bit. The last time I went, we went on an educational tour with a man who was from a tribe that was native to the island. I can't remember the island or the tribe name. During the introduction, he explained that when the Spaniards came over they were so brutal that the entire tribe started speaking Spanish out of fear, and that over the generations, their actual native language has been completely lost. No one alive today has any idea what it was. I personally wasn't sure what to think. I knew those that colonized the western world were brutal and murdered countless native peoples, but there are still those that speak their language. I know the Cherokee do. I have a little bit of Cherokee in me. Not much, and the blood has gotten extremely thin over the generations.

But every time I go down there, I learn a little bit more about a culture that is different from my own. It's always interesting. If I ever make it to Europe, I will be going out of my way to learn as much as I can about the different cultures. Especially those of my heritage.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I love learning about all the different cultures of the world modern or ancient. I used to watch history videos of ancient civilizations. All of them just fascinate me. Even today, if I visit a place I love to learn about not only present culture, but the history too cause that is what makes culture. When I was a baby, we lived in Okinawa Japan on a military base because my dad was in the military. I was still born in the states though. But we brought back all kinds of furniture and decoration stuff that are actually antique now. But the artistry in the wood work and vases etc are amazing. I own all the furniture now which is over 40 years old and still in great condition. They simply don't make stuff like that in the USA. But we grew up having a lot of respect for them. 

I love to always try food from different areas of the world if I eat out and being around Houston, there are many great ethnic restaurants. Most restaurants in this country aren't even close to what they actually eat in the original country, unless of course you go to an authentic restaurant. Even though my DNA is very mixed, I'm not sure that is what drove me to appreciate all cultures. And that makes me extra sensitive to racism because I just can't fathom the hate. When I did live in the Houston city area, I lived in a white neighborhood, black neighborhood, hispanic, and chinatown. And each one of the areas was diverse itself: white has different European, black has African, Hispanic has people from all over Latin America, and chinatown has everything from southern asian to northern, to Indian, and middle eastern. That was Houston, so I can't say the same for other cities. Was being exposed to different cultures what made me appreciate them more, or my appreciation of different cultures that brought me to live there? I don't know. Because my family sure as hell didn't bring that to the table. 

I can't really say I favor any specific culture. I can go to any country and be amazed by what I learn. The USA itself being diverse, we can learn a lot from the different cultures here, from the people, immigrants, and different regions across the country. The east coast is different from the west, then the dirty south, and the midwest. From deserts to forests to mountains to everglades, to beaches, to the farming plains. Unfortunately, the USA is in a culture war declared by extremists. Where one loves culture, others want to abolish it. I really think they should teach cultural psychology in all grades of school. I took it in college and learned a great deal. For example, something as small as looking someone directly in the eye while talking to them is a sign of aggression in many cultures. I easily see that. "Friends sit side by side; enemies look at each other in the face." And many parts of the world are culturally passive. Which means they tend to shy away from debate. Westernized societies are very opinionated and that brings fear to some. 

I've travelled to Italy and France once and it's pretty amazing. I'm not a fan of people watching, but those Italians are interesting to watch. They really do talk with their hands a lot. It's pretty cool. And please don't put the orange buffoon in that same category. He's a clown. But I would love to visit all the regions my DNA is from. Interestingly, I saw a lot of doppelgängers of myself in France. Was weird. Is that how people feel when they live in an area where everyone is the same??? I will never know. 

Every time I meet someone from another country, no matter where from, it's like we are long lost brothers. Because it's as if Americans are so culturally insensitive, that even a person like me feels lost as does someone that is new to this country. It's refreshing to meet people from another culture. And I am craving some falafel. Mediterranean is my favorite food.  

I noticed that with Italians I've met in different countries as well - they tend to gesticulate a lot. In my experience encountering most Americans in other countries, you're right about the cultural insensitivity. I know to be respectful to others cultures and beliefs but the ones I encountered were ridiculously disrespectful. As for getting along with people from other cultures, I pretty much get along with anyone - I find that no matter where I am, most people are generally very kind to me.

Americans have a natural entitlement. It partially comes from that "greatest country on earth" bullshit. The rest is either racial (white privilege) or personal entitlement (narcissism). Many of the wealthiest people on earth are American, and for some reason a majority of the population thinks that that gives them the right to be assholes and makes them better than everyone else. When they themselves are not in any way wealthy and like the majority are living paycheck to paycheck. The US needs to take cue from a lot of the rest of the world. Humility being number one.

The bullshit of the people here is why I'm the most misanthropic bitch you could ever meet.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I noticed that with Italians I've met in different countries as well - they tend to gesticulate a lot. In my experience encountering most Americans in other countries, you're right about the cultural insensitivity. I know to be respectful to others cultures and beliefs but the ones I encountered were ridiculously disrespectful. As for getting along with people from other cultures, I pretty much get along with anyone - I find that no matter where I am, most people are generally very kind to me.

They tend to gesticulate more in the southern Italian areas. I remember down in the Amalfi Coast area I was on a bus and two old ladies were talking and they were using their hands in a way that was just intriguing. And the way they talked too. I had to snap out of it. 😮 I have Sicilian in me and I felt a piece of DNA strand tingle when I see their hand movements. 

7 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

They tend to gesticulate more in the southern Italian areas. I remember down in the Amalfi Coast area I was on a bus and two old ladies were talking and they were using their hands in a way that was just intriguing. And the way they talked too. I had to snap out of it. 😮 I have Sicilian in me and I felt a piece of DNA strand tingle when I see their hand movements. 

Next thing you're going to tell us that you have this urge to move back to Italy and open an Italian restaurant 😹.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Next thing you're going to tell us that you have this urge to move back to Italy and open an Italian restaurant 😹.

I never lived there, but I would give up my citizenship and get one there if I could. The Italian as well as the Japanese population has been decreasing. I would knock it back up. 

If we're talking about moving to where our heritage comes from, my first choice would be Scotland. If that's not possible I would go next door to Ireland. And I would happily give up my US citizenship in exchange if I could. Germany would be my third choice as it's the last part of my European heritage.

Not exactly an uncommon mix here in the states, I know. But my heritage means everything to me. I'm still trying to find a teacher to learn Scottish Gaelic, but all I can find is a school in St. Louis that costs thousands per every 6 weeks. Unless I hit the lottery this week, I'm screwed there. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to pay, I just can't afford the fortune that school is wanting.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 4/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I never lived there, but I would give up my citizenship and get one there if I could. The Italian as well as the Japanese population has been decreasing. I would knock it back up. 

I did learn about Italy offering incentives to people to live in an abandoned city for a period of time and you'd get paid for it. I heard it was some pretty rural areas though.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:10 AM, The Blackangel said:

If we're talking about moving to where our heritage comes from, my first choice would be Scotland. If that's not possible I would go next door to Ireland. And I would happily give up my US citizenship in exchange if I could. Germany would be my third choice as it's the last part of my European heritage.

Not exactly an uncommon mix here in the states, I know. But my heritage means everything to me. I'm still trying to find a teacher to learn Scottish Gaelic, but all I can find is a school in St. Louis that costs thousands per every 6 weeks. Unless I hit the lottery this week, I'm screwed there. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to pay, I just can't afford the fortune that school is wanting.

A part of my dad's family originates from Scotland as well but it's their accent and the way they pronounce certain words that captures my attention. 

While I have never travelled out of my country, USA, I've always been fascinated with other cultures. I've also been interested in learning new languages. I'm Dutch on my Dad's side. My mom did ancestry.com & found out we have ancestors from Scotland. I'm also the type who can take the step back & honor the unique heritages out there as well as learn from each other. 

On 4/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, ZandraJoi said:

While I have never travelled out of my country, USA, I've always been fascinated with other cultures. I've also been interested in learning new languages. I'm Dutch on my Dad's side. My mom did ancestry.com & found out we have ancestors from Scotland. I'm also the type who can take the step back & honor the unique heritages out there as well as learn from each other. 

Funny story, my Dad's side of the family is from Scotland but I'm glad I didn't inherit the accent. Have you ever tried to have a conversation with one? Their accent and pronunciations will definitely have you convinced that the both of you are speaking different languages.