Register Now
ZandraJoi

Why is The Simpsons so popular?

Alcohol is accepted by the populace because it is legal. With the exception of the prohibition era, alcohol has been the go-to intoxicant for centuries. People are only opposed to other intoxicants like marijuana, cocaine, and heroin because they are designated as illegal. What people won't accept is that marijuana actually is much less dangerous than alcohol. They won't accept that hospitals use cocaine as a numbing agent. They won't accept that heroin was successfully used by 19th century doctors the way methadone is used today. To get people off drugs like laudanum. Something people don't know is that "heroin" is actually a brand name, like Pepsi, Sony, Zippo etc. But it's used generically today.

People accept alcohol because it's legal, and reject other substances because they are designated illegal. Even though alcohol is by far one of the most dangerous and destructive drugs known to man. I won't lie. I enjoy a drink from time to time. But I keep it in check. I'm predisposed to alcoholism as it runs in my family. So I am very careful about it. I don't have an issue with alcohol, but I think my past as a drug addict helps me keep it in check. I have a medical marijuana card. But I only use it as a last resort, even though I smoked it off and on recreationally since I was 16. From the years of 18-22 I have no memory because I was drugged out the entire time. I did anything and everything. If someone passed me something and I was either too high to recognize it or was unfamiliar with it, I only had 2 questions.

How do I take it?
How long until it kicks in?

It's an internal war that no one will understand unless they've been there to stay clean/sober. I know where to get these things. Every day I want to go out and get some blow, angel dust, acid, rock, or tar. I've even gone so far as to hit an ATM and drive over to a pharmacist. But I changed my mind as I was looking at him.

@Reality vs Adventure knows what that urge and fight is when he drives by liquor stores and bars. He has to fight a war so violent that it would scare the shit out of the average person.

And those who have dealt with addiction are 100 times more likely to fall back into the addiction. It is harder for us to stay clean/sober than the average person. We have to find strength we didn't know we had to say No.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:05 PM, The Blackangel said:

Not anymore they aren’t. The stories and stale, the plots are bombs, and the characters are nothing like they were originally.

Even Matt Groening quit the show more than a decade ago for the same reasons. And he created the dam characters.

Eventually shows need to get the hint and die off. The Simpsons hasn’t got the memo apparently.

I think good writers could keep the show in good shape for practically forever.  I don't see why not.  Why do you think the writing has gotten worse?

6 hours ago, Jayson said:

I think good writers could keep the show in good shape for practically forever.  I don't see why not.  Why do you think the writing has gotten worse?

Not anymore they aren’t. The stories and stale, the plots are bombs, and the characters are nothing like they were originally.

Eventually shows need to get the hint and die off. The Simpsons hasn’t got the memo apparently.