Register Now
HolisticStorm

Linux gaming

Does anybody here game on Linux?

I have used Linux on and off. It is pretty amazing how many games will now run natively on Linux, but it still cannot compete with Windows in that regard. I am going to set up a VM with GPU passthrough soon so that I can have near-native graphic performance on a Windows guest running under a Linux host. I think that this will be the best approach; it isn't perfect, but it's the best way to game comfortably without allowing Microsoft constant and unrestricted access to your data.

Nope, always had and used Windows. I used to run and stalled Linux for fun and whatnot when I was at collahe with old PC hardware laying around and laerning and building what Linux had. Many many years ago that was. 

On 6/4/2021 at 7:24 AM, HolisticStorm said:

but it still cannot compete with Windows in that regard

can't compete just because there are only few games that support Linux, otherwise, everyone will start using Linux for gaming as it's more optimized for gaming, some CS GO Benchmarks showed that you get double the fps almost all times in Linux compared to windows, which is pretty amazing, that would take gaming to another level if there were almost all games supported

Linux gaming has advanced light years since just a few years ago, so if you give it a few years, it is very likely that Linux will be viable for gaming. I have also heard rumors that Microsoft may use the Linux kernel in a future version of Windows.