Register Now
skyfire

Windows 11 on Gaming Laptops

On 7/28/2021 at 1:34 AM, skyfire said:

I think if windows is forcing the upgrade that's reasonable too. Like you can't expect windows to be like linux and have it running on 20 year old machines. 

I prefer when the upgrade is actually working properly without the bugs and glitches so I'll give it a couple of years before I upgrade my machine as well.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:37 AM, skyfire said:

I too waited too long for windows 10 like that but turns out I loved the windows 10 experience despite bugs. I am giving 6 month tops to windows 11. I may upgrade eventually. 

We'll all have to upgrade eventually but I can afford to wait - it's not like Windows 11 is going anywhere anytime soon.

17 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yeah 5 years each operating system would be getting the lifespan from what I have seen. so 2022 is the year when we all would make safe movement into new. 

I'll definitely wait until 2023 especially when I can get some deals if they're not offering me a free upgrade.

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

Bumping this thread because Windows 11 is released tomorrow. From what I understand, the update will be available to download for existing windows 10 users via Microsoft's website. More info from CNET.

I think I'm going to at least give it a month so that the major bugs and other kinks can be worked out.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

According to some videos out, performance hit across the board up to 15% and lots of bugs and glitches.

That's not entirely accurate. According to Linus Tech Tips (video below) the performance dips seem to occur while using AMD CPU's when paired with high end GPU's because of the way Windows 11 spreads the load of the current operation over more of CPU's threads. A better idea in theory, but it can slow the flow of data between an AMD CPU and a GPU because of the way AMD CPU's interact with GPU's. Video below.

With other hardware set ups, it's looking like there's not going to be much difference at launch.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:48 AM, Shagger said:

That's not entirely accurate. According to Linus Tech Tips (video below) the performance dips seem to occur while using AMD CPU's when paired with high end GPU's because of the way Windows 11 spreads the load of the current operation over more of CPU's threads. A better idea in theory, but it can slow the flow of data between an AMD CPU and a GPU because of the way AMD CPU's interact with GPU's. Video below.

With other hardware set ups, it's looking like there's not going to be much difference at launch.

Oh okay - thanks for the heads up.

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

I sometimes think the windows 11 is rushed unlike windows 10 which had mixed start the last time. 

Windows 11 was originally supposed to be a huge update to Windows 10 but for whatever reason, they decided to make it another version and that decision was made within the last 2 years so I'd also agree that it was rushed.