Register Now
StaceyPowers

Autistic kid gets into trouble for repeating lines from Red Dead Redemption

12 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

As an autistic person I can appreciate what this child was going through, having said things that nearly got me sent to court because of my social ineptitude (the party involved mercifully didn't press charges). The punishment was being invited to my headmaster's office, my mum being there and having to explain my actions, which was enough to scare me into being a lot more careful into how I talk to - or rather write about - people, especially those I don't know as well as I think I do.

But then I'm in my own humble corner of the autism spectrum, and was lucky enough to have a social circle which supported me after my fall from grace. What works for me might not work for someone else, and might not for this child either. Their reaction to being told that what they're saying is unsettling and wrong may well differ to mine. I can't blame the parents, because to do so would be blaming my own for my social incompetence, when really it was all on me processing things in a way that was socially unacceptable and not thinking before I acted on the lessons I had been taught about scripting and echolalia by my folks.

I still think taking this beyond a sit down and talking to is too harsh. Quote the article, "the mom explained how her son is completely unaware of his felony case." Imagine if this child had to go to a young offenders' institute or prison, would the world be a better place if they were there? Would they leave such an institute a better person? I don't believe either has an optimistic answer.

The child would be so mercilessly bullied and tortured for his autism, that I would have to wonder if he even would make it out of there alive. Those places are no joke. They're as bad as prisons that adult offenders are in, but just with a younger demographic. If he has to be incarcerated, put him in a hospital institute. A place where he would have a chance of being treated with some level of kindness. But in them you're ignored and left to your own to pass the time. The most severe thing he could possibly deserve would be maybe being grounded and having to give up RDR. At least give it up for a little while unless his parents decided to take the game away permanently. But at this point it would be a moot point to take it permanently.

But all in all, he needs a talking to. Not a felony charge, and not incarceration. If his parents are having difficulty finding the right words, there are counselors that are trained in these areas.

Edited by The Blackangel

34 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

As an autistic person I can appreciate what this child was going through, having said things that nearly got me sent to court because of my social ineptitude (the party involved mercifully didn't press charges). The punishment was being invited to my headmaster's office, my mum being there and having to explain my actions, which was enough to scare me into being a lot more careful into how I talk to - or rather write about - people, especially those I don't know as well as I think I do.

But then I'm in my own humble corner of the autism spectrum, and was lucky enough to have a social circle which supported me after my fall from grace. What works for me might not work for someone else, and might not for this child either. Their reaction to being told that what they're saying is unsettling and wrong may well differ to mine. I can't blame the parents, because to do so would be blaming my own for my social incompetence, when really it was all on me processing things in a way that was socially unacceptable and not thinking before I acted on the lessons I had been taught about scripting and echolalia by my folks.

I still think taking this beyond a sit down and talking to is too harsh. Quote the article, "the mom explained how her son is completely unaware of his felony case." Imagine if this child had to go to a young offenders' institute or prison, would the world be a better place if they were there? Would they leave such an institute a better person? I don't believe either has an optimistic answer.

The truth of the matter is that the parents had work to do just like your parents did on your behalf in order to help the kid. 

I think your having a group circle that help you as well is a very good strategy too. What really gave you the idea?