Register Now
StaceyPowers

Autistic kid gets into trouble for repeating lines from Red Dead Redemption

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

They are using an autistic person to set an example of as a threat while condoning the same behavior in others that are their peers or higher up in social status. The question is how do we discipline an autistic child? Clearly, it’s wrong what he said. And police should have the right to question him and the parents in case there could be issues at home. Then again, police are known for twisting questions in a way with children to manipulate them. A normal thing to do is to get a court order for family or personal counseling for the child. But that might not be appropriate for someone autistic, unless he sees someone that specializes in it. And maybe he should see someone. But a felony? Welcome to manhood where you become a man at 10 years old if you are black, brown, or autistic.

It's actually why it's against the law for a police to question a minor all alone without the parents or guardian in the same room. But on this case, didn't the parent fail at their job already? 

For those wondering, the easiest way to explain echolalia is ... do you ever walk around singing lyrics to your favorite song without really thinking about it? That, but not necessarily singing or a song. That's what the kid was doing. Just repeating lines that were stuck in his head from the game. There was no "intent" or "threat" in them. He just liked how they sounded/felt to say. This is the equivalent of charging a kid with a felony for singing a song with violent lyrics.

I can't find an exact quote in RDR where they say "burn the teachers and the school." So if the game didn't say that, then it is not scripting. Those are the words the child said. The fire bottle part he referred to is from the game. So if the game didn't quote the burning of teachers and school, then this is a deliberate attack on the game itself. I could be wrong, did the game actually use those words with the teacher and school? If so, then all this is redundant. 

35 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I can't find an exact quote in RDR where they say "burn the teachers and the school." So if the game didn't say that, then it is not scripting. Those are the words the child said. The fire bottle part he referred to is from the game. So if the game didn't quote the burning of teachers and school, then this is a deliberate attack on the game itself. I could be wrong, did the game actually use those words with the teacher and school? If so, then all this is redundant. 

Not that I'm aware of. I think it is most likely he was saying something general about fire bottles, and a teacher or supervisor assumed it was in reference to the school and teachers.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/update-felony-charges-dismissed-against-cobb-co-student-with-autism/article_a2e31d54-f3db-11eb-bfda-cb69437d727c.html?block_id=1095903

Okay, it looks like here this kid has a pattern of out-of-context quotes, and that the faculty and parents had a plan in place where staff are supposed to ask him if he is quoting a movie/game or not, and they didn't do that, and just filed the charges (which have now been dropped).

11 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

https://www.cbs46.com/news/update-felony-charges-dismissed-against-cobb-co-student-with-autism/article_a2e31d54-f3db-11eb-bfda-cb69437d727c.html?block_id=1095903

Okay, it looks like here this kid has a pattern of out-of-context quotes, and that the faculty and parents had a plan in place where staff are supposed to ask him if he is quoting a movie/game or not, and they didn't do that, and just filed the charges (which have now been dropped).

Well, I'm not really surprised that the charges were dropped because it was clearly obvious in as much as it should have been dealt with properly, it wasn't going to hold much water. 

I wonder what would have happened if the parents never warned the school. Would they have followed through with the felony? Don't jobs talk about potential situations they may encounter at staff meetings? Do teachers have yearly continuing education requirements? Everyone in the medical industry requires continuing education they have to pass or risk losing license. Teachers need it too. Dealing with autistic children should be in there somewhere. They probably skip through all that in college too. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Can't exactly remember that line about the teachers and school being in it.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

It was the public backlash that let them drop the charges - I just know it. The school could've also been sued by the parent since they broke an agreement.

8 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I wonder what would have happened if the parents never warned the school. Would they have followed through with the felony? Don't jobs talk about potential situations they may encounter at staff meetings? Do teachers have yearly continuing education requirements? Everyone in the medical industry requires continuing education they have to pass or risk losing license. Teachers need it too. Dealing with autistic children should be in there somewhere. They probably skip through all that in college too. 

I'm very sure that they do know all that how important it is but the real question is why haven't they done anything about it? 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:06 AM, The Blackangel said:

As an American I can confirm this. This country is so damn pussy whipped that it's pathetic. Everyone is actively looking for something to freak out about, even if they have to make it up. Central Park Karen is a prime example of this.

Yeah it's sad, since I meet so many nice people from there, but some younger people are just having too much money and opportunity so they just go baby mode. I hate victim mentality especially if you are in a country where hard work really does pay off (If I work as a waiter here and am supper nice and polite I can make a max of 700$ per month, and I think that is easily beatable in the states).

5 minutes ago, Shole said:

Yeah it's sad, since I meet so many nice people from there, but some younger people are just having too much money and opportunity so they just go baby mode. I hate victim mentality especially if you are in a country where hard work really does pay off (If I work as a waiter here and am supper nice and polite I can make a max of 700$ per month, and I think that is easily beatable in the states).

I'm very sure that no living human likes it when another person played the victim card when it's obvious they messed up in their part. 

On 8/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, The Blackangel said:

As an American I can confirm this. This country is so damn pussy whipped that it's pathetic. Everyone is actively looking for something to freak out about, even if they have to make it up. Central Park Karen is a prime example of this.

It's so true like why are they always looking for things to get offended about but I'm not surprised by the charges because A) He's male so automatically he gets no sympathy and B) they love to virtue signal. I guarantee you if this was an Autistic little girl they'd treat him far differently and it'd get swept under the rug. 

49 minutes ago, Shole said:

Yeah but the bills in the US is also more expensive. For instance, their light bill at a minimum is around the $100 mark which is extremely high in my country. That being said, you're right in the sense that young people today aren't being held accountable as we were growing up.

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah but the bills in the US is also more expensive. For instance, their light bill at a minimum is around the $100 mark which is extremely high in my country. That being said, you're right in the sense that young people today aren't being held accountable as we were growing up.

That's not actually true. My power bill is closer to $50 every month. The only way it would get that high is if we kept everything electric running 24/7. $100 is extortionate. But I also live in Missouri, which is one of the cheaper states to live in. But then again most states are like that. In the major cities like NYC, the bills are insanely higher. But the minimum wage is also a hell of a lot higher. And a lot of apartments come with things like electric, water, sewer, and trash included in the rent. The last apartment I had was like that. So while it's expensive, in the majority of the country, it's not as expensive as you might think.

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's so true like why are they always looking for things to get offended about but I'm not surprised by the charges because A) He's male so automatically he gets no sympathy and B) they love to virtue signal. I guarantee you if this was an Autistic little girl they'd treat him far differently and it'd get swept under the rug. 

Why in the world would I get charged $100 for light bills? I'm not running any kind of business with electricity to be getting that kind of bill. I'd sue the company immediately. 

As an autistic person I can appreciate what this child was going through, having said things that nearly got me sent to court because of my social ineptitude (the party involved mercifully didn't press charges). The punishment was being invited to my headmaster's office, my mum being there and having to explain my actions, which was enough to scare me into being a lot more careful into how I talk to - or rather write about - people, especially those I don't know as well as I think I do.

But then I'm in my own humble corner of the autism spectrum, and was lucky enough to have a social circle which supported me after my fall from grace. What works for me might not work for someone else, and might not for this child either. Their reaction to being told that what they're saying is unsettling and wrong may well differ to mine. I can't blame the parents, because to do so would be blaming my own for my social incompetence, when really it was all on me processing things in a way that was socially unacceptable and not thinking before I acted on the lessons I had been taught about scripting and echolalia by my folks.

I still think taking this beyond a sit down and talking to is too harsh. Quote the article, "the mom explained how her son is completely unaware of his felony case." Imagine if this child had to go to a young offenders' institute or prison, would the world be a better place if they were there? Would they leave such an institute a better person? I don't believe either has an optimistic answer.