Register Now
StaceyPowers

Opinion: Meaningful choice in video games does not equal complete control

I so often see players who feel they were “robbed” of their choices or the meaning of those choices in video games if they do not have 100% micromanagement of the constraints for those choices and their outcomes.

I do not get this. Choices do not work this way at all in RL. Why would they in a game? Choices are frequently made in a compromised set of conditions.

I agree - you'll never be able to exactly control life's circumstances despite the choices you make and I also believe that's how it should be in videogames. My gripe is that despite the choices you make, it seems that those choices never really mattered especially when you have the same generic ending. There needs to be a balance where the choices have and impact on an aspect of the ending. Not one extreme or the other.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

I so often see players who feel they were “robbed” of their choices or the meaning of those choices in video games if they do not have 100% micromanagement of the constraints for those choices and their outcomes.

I do not get this. Choices do not work this way at all in RL. Why would they in a game? Choices are frequently made in a compromised set of conditions.

Seriously, even in video games, you even have more control over what happens than what happens with your choices in real life. A lot of unforeseen variables makes it very difficult to control real life events. 

I don't think anybody wants complete control over the story when they talk about choices having meaning.. We understand that is impossible. What I find a problem with is if our choices don't mean anything, regardless of what you choose the same thing happens 5 minutes later.

Choices don't have to be groundbreaking even small choices like how you complete a mission can give a great sense of achievement to the player. Especially if it gets referenced later in the game or a sequel even.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:51 PM, killamch89 said:

I agree - you'll never be able to exactly control life's circumstances despite the choices you make and I also believe that's how it should be in videogames. My gripe is that despite the choices you make, it seems that those choices never really mattered especially when you have the same generic ending. There needs to be a balance where the choices have and impact on an aspect of the ending. Not one extreme or the other.

If different choices still leads to the same ending, I don't really see the essence of the choice to begin with. It's not really a choice to be very honest because since the end is already predetermined, the choice is useless. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

If different choices still leads to the same ending, I don't really see the essence of the choice to begin with. It's not really a choice to be very honest because since the end is already predetermined, the choice is useless. 

Illusion of choice is even worse than having no choices at all.