Register Now
Shagger

Character Crossovers and Cameo's. Yay or nae?

A about 3 months ago, it as announced that Aloy from HZD would become a free 5 star playable character in the FTP online Anime style RPG game Genshin Impact. I'm not fully versed on how exactly premium characters work in the game, but I do know that 5 star rated characters tend to be costly, so for this one to be offered for free, all be it in the wake of a cross portion deal, is something I'd describe as very fair. Aly was made available for PlayStation 5 players first last month, she was added in a patch for players on other platforms a few days ago.

I have played Genshin Impact a little and, even though it didn't really get it's claws into me, I recognise it as a decent game that certainly worth a try. And given that HZD is one of my favourite games with Aloy being one of my favourite protagonists, I appreciate this.

However, a portion of the PC players have taken a very different stance going so far as to even call A'y's inclusion as "an insult". Some hate Aloy's inclusion so much they have actually made an effort to delete her completely form thier accounts. More details on this from Dexerto.com.

Now, dimensional travel is thing in Genshin Impact, so for characters from other games or other established lore's and stories to become a part of the game makes sense within it's worlds rules. This may have been a part of miHoYo's long term plans for the game right from the beginning. Regardless, the common excuse that Aloy "doesn't fit" just doesn't fly with me. There is a theory going around that PlayStation wanted Aloy to be put in the game for promotional reason in exchange for thier cooperation to allow cross-platform saves on PlayStation for Genshin Impact. If that's true, than what we have here is a good thing happening for the wrong reason, but in the end the players got those cross platform saves and a free premium character out of it, so it was win for all all. The rage here does not make even a lick of sense to me. If it was really was immersion breaking and seriously mess with lore or cannon I'd get it, because I just don't see it that way.

It's not like this sort of thing is anything new. I Remember skins themed arond Phantasy Star Online 2 and for 2B (Nier Automata) in Gravity Rush 2. Then there's Marvel Vs Capcom, a fighting games series themed around characters from universes that would never otherwise interact and don't connect at all. This just adds to my confusion on why Aloy in Genshin Impact has pissed people off so much.

What other instances can you think of of characters making cameo appearances or being referenced in other games can you thing off and how do you feel about this sort of thing in general?

Aloy also appeared in Monster Hunter World. There are some characters from Final Fantasy that appeared in Kingdom Hearts. I think it's cool when they do that. When used for promotional purposes it can get hairy, especially when used to advocate something. As we all know the gaming industry somehow screws up the purpose even if it’s something simple as breast cancer awareness. I don’t know anything about Ghensin Impact, so I have no sense at all why they would go out of their way like that to delete a free character. More and more people are starting to make less and less sense. Do they think it is not worthy because they didn’t earn it? Are they mad because they spent money on 5 star characters and others got one for free? Does a 5 star effect the game giving amateurs a boost? I have no idea. Life must be pretty good to be mad at something like that instead of enjoying what you got for free. 

I don't even play Genshin Impact but I find it ridiculous that people would make a big fuss about another character from a different series making a cameo in a game you play. Personally, I do like that sort of thing - it certainly adds a bit of surprise factor because you may be familiar with that character from the original series but how will they perform in this universe.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't even play Genshin Impact but I find it ridiculous that people would make a big fuss about another character from a different series making a cameo in a game you play. Personally, I do like that sort of thing - it certainly adds a bit of surprise factor because you may be familiar with that character from the original series but how will they perform in this universe.

It's nice to hear that some gamers are taking their time to create something out from the video game they love. I never played any smoke game series, I understand others fancy it, even if I don't. 

2 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

It's nice to hear that some gamers are taking their time to create something out from the video game they love. I never played any smoke game series, I understand others fancy it, even if I don't. 

Same here - I don't think I've ever played that series either.