Register Now
Kane99

Ever do gaming studies/beta tests on new gaming products?

Not video games, but more a product test, new controllers, accessibility stuff, and more. Have you ever done a gaming study or a beta test on a new gaming product? I know most companies put you on a non-disclosure agreement, so I don't expect you to reveal any secret details. Just as long as you don't break your contract, you can talk about aspects of what you do. 

I know someone who has done a gaming study for an accessibility controller, think like the new Xbox Accessibility controller that released a while ago, but from a different company. I can't say who or what it is. Just that it's for accessibility in gaming. 

I myself, have tried to get into these studies and beta tests, because they do often pay you. I heard some got paid just in the interview process. But yeah, anyone have this opportunity themselves? 

I've written reviews around video games before especially on mobile phone games as a tester. I worked via majority of the game testing sites notably 'usertesting where I got paid to test video games and share genuine reviews on what's needed to improve including it's positive too. 

The only beta testing I do is related to PS4 and PS5 system firmware, and sign-ups are often (not always) open to the public so it's not really anything special.

I don't play too much in the way of multiplayer, so I don't really mind losing out on some functionality that often breaks as a result of conflicting firmware versions such as party chat. I mean, Sony even provide an option to revert back to the latest stable release anyway.. 🙂

On 12/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Boblee said:

I haven't gotten a chance to take part in such studies and beta tests by any game companies but it's something that I would be willing and open to doing. 

I never taking my time either. The best I can do to get the better of my video game addiction, is through streaming, I've concluded on it already. 

7 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I never taking my time either. The best I can do to get the better of my video game addiction, is through streaming, I've concluded on it already. 

It's not actually an opportunity that most people can afford to get themselves into doing. I wouldn't mind doing it but it's not coming. 

On 12/8/2021 at 10:24 AM, Oblivion Knight said:

The only beta testing I do is related to PS4 and PS5 system firmware, and sign-ups are often (not always) open to the public so it's not really anything special.

I don't play too much in the way of multiplayer, so I don't really mind losing out on some functionality that often breaks as a result of conflicting firmware versions such as party chat. I mean, Sony even provide an option to revert back to the latest stable release anyway.. 🙂

I mostly did stuff on the 360 and Xbox one side of things. But I haven't done any betas or anything since. I wouldn't mind trying out some for new gen consoles. But I need the consoles first. 

13 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's not actually an opportunity that most people can afford to get themselves into doing. I wouldn't mind doing it but it's not coming. 

I understand your point, before going in such a niche, you need to have deep feeling about the stuff, that's where passion comes into play. 

10 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I understand your point, before going in such a niche, you need to have deep feeling about the stuff, that's where passion comes into play. 

Let's see how that goes next year 2022, if it's possible for me to get to do something with my PS4, then I'm definitely taking the opportunity very seriously.