Register Now
GeppyX

How do I increase my memory storage for my PS4?

I never understood this. I'm not super technical. Back in the day all you needed was to buy an extra memory card and you could save whatever you wanted. Now my PS3 and 4 are all maxed out. Do I need to buy terabytes? I don't know how it works and how to insert it. My friend suggested maybe PSNow or PSPlus would allow me to have more storage. Then I have another friend who said it's a complicated process and I would need to leave the PS4 with him for 2 weeks and he could do it. I questioned him and he wouldn't accept any other options and said only the experts could change storage and I'd need him. So I'm confused. I really wish I could store more games on my PS4. I've had to delete many just to play GTA 5. It's crazy.

20 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Just buy an external hard drive with a usb connection, they usually sell them for like 80dollars for the 1tb storage size

That's impressive, I've been looking for this solution too, to resolve issues of low internal storage memory. But, please is it applicable also to PS3 console? 

11 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Just buy an external hard drive with a usb connection, they usually sell them for like 80dollars for the 1tb storage size

How exactly does the external storage work for ps4 because I have the exact problems with storage. Does the external storage save the game application onto it? Is there supposed to be an option in the system to save applications to the external drive? Because whenever I put in a game it just automatically downloads on the ps4 hard drive. How do you make it download to the external drive? 

I use an external storage to save all my save files and pics and videos, but not actual applications. And how exactly are you supposed to get updates for the game that way? Do external drives have a slower processing speed if playing a game from it? May be a lot of questions, but help is appreciated. 

Other than that, you can replace the hard drive itself with higher gb. It's easy to do.

Here is a site that compares some good hard drives

https://www.ps4storage.com/best-ps4-internal-hdd-upgrades/

The higher gb you go, it gets expensive. 

33 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

That's impressive, I've been looking for this solution too, to resolve issues of low internal storage memory. But, please is it applicable also to PS3 console? 

30 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

How exactly does the external storage work for ps4 because I have the exact problems with storage. Does the external storage save the game application onto it? Is there supposed to be an option in the system to save applications to the external drive? Because whenever I put in a game it just automatically downloads on the ps4 hard drive. How do you make it download to the external drive? 

I use an external storage to save all my save files and pics and videos, but not actual applications. And how exactly are you supposed to get updates for the game that way? Do external drives have a slower processing speed if playing a game from it? May be a lot of questions, but help is appreciated. 

Other than that, you can replace the hard drive itself with higher gb. It's easy to do.

Here is a site that compares some good hard drives

https://www.ps4storage.com/best-ps4-internal-hdd-upgrades/

The higher gb you go, it gets expensive. 

Its not that complicated, Im not sure you guys never figured it out before.

Yes there are external hard drives available for ps3. Just plug an external HDD into the console's USB port and use that make room on the internal drive. Once you have the external hard drive connected to your console the hard drive will show up on your storage settings, from there just move the game file  from your internal hard drive to your external hard drive, depending on the type of hard drive that you get the game might load slower. This is way easier than opening your console and replacing the internal hard drive. I dont have all the answers but you can just google how to use external hard drives , they are no brainer really.

Thanks alot @kingpotato for putting your best to explain what we need to know in order to set up the internal storage low memory and move the games over to external storage section through the settings you outlined. If I get lost I'll simply search the remaining via Google, maybe I'll still come back to you xD 😅