Register Now
Dannyjax

Who should gaming companies be suing?

On 6/29/2022 at 5:22 PM, killamch89 said:

I don't either but we've seen Nintendo do this a number of times - they either shut down the fan-made game or threaten to sue. As a matter of fact, Nintendo is the only company that I remember in recent history that consistently does this.

They have every right to do so, even if it sucks. I hate seeing fan made games taken down, but we really can't stop them. I just wish they would consider bringing in these devs, because I always think when these fan made games come out, it's like they're asking for a job at Nintendo. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

Nintendo is very cautious of their brand and I think that's why they always approach such issues in that manner. It works as a way for them to deter gamers from getting into such acts. 

I would be too if I was Nintendo. I think they mainly don't want their characters misrepresented and that's why they don't want to risk any fan made stuff. That's my guess on their reasoning at least. 

9 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

They have every right to do so, even if it sucks. I hate seeing fan made games taken down, but we really can't stop them. I just wish they would consider bringing in these devs, because I always think when these fan made games come out, it's like they're asking for a job at Nintendo. 

I would be too if I was Nintendo. I think they mainly don't want their characters misrepresented and that's why they don't want to risk any fan made stuff. That's my guess on their reasoning at least. 

If there's a way for these fans to have some sort of arrangement with Nintendo, I think it's going to give them the acceptable to do what they do. Even if they are doing it to impress the company, but without consent, Nintendo would feel attacked. 

On 6/29/2022 at 1:56 AM, Kane99 said:

Also, I hate that fan games are something companies have sued over. I mean, the majority of fan made games aren't released for money to my knowledge. Yeah I can see some points where they are still using that copyrighted material, but I think it's odd to sue them for money. Like, shut it down and end it there, but suing some game maker for their fan made game is weird to me. 

I know there's legalities there, but if they're not selling it, I don't agree with suing. I agree with cease and desist's happening, but suing nah. 

I totally agree with you on this, if the cheat codes and hacks aren't sold but are just used by those who could create it for their single player experience then there is no need suing them at all. After all  an invention isn't complete if others aren't constantly modifying it to suit them.

22 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think that your assumptions might be true because if not, I don't see any other good reasons why they usually flair up whenever fans makes such with their characters or it might be them making money off it in a way they won't be aware of?