Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why are release windows/dates announced so late for some games?

Or studios can stop picking a release date that's far too early. Maybe wait until some development has been done before even announcing it. 

Or pick a far out enough date where you think your team can build a game in. And if they need delays allow it. 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, Kane99 said:

Or studios can stop picking a release date that's far too early. Maybe wait until some development has been done before even announcing it. 

Or pick a far out enough date where you think your team can build a game in. And if they need delays allow it. 

I'm very sure that they know that very well but their too quick greed on how to get the gamers money too early with the pre orders and all makes them to rush with the game's release announcement date. 

It's only when it gets longer in development that they see it's not going to be possible to keep to the announced date, they won't have any other choice but to delay it or rush the game's release and it comes out unplayable with bugs. 

For me, it is better not to hurry and release nonsense. And also, it is better to delay and not announce the official release of the game, than announcing it and later delaying. Such can put gamers in total disarray and cast doubt around the company. 

As well, these studios can start by not announcing a game before it's even started development. I feel like studios often announce stuff way too soon to begin with. Announce it when it's ready or near ready. Like shagger said 4-5 months. I'd be happy if they just randomly released a game and see how it fairs. I think it'd be cool. Like rappers releasing mixtapes out of the blue without any prior announcement. 

Edited by Kane99

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

As well, these studios can start by not announcing a game before it's even started development. I feel like studios often announce stuff way too soon to begin with. Announce it when it's ready or near ready. Like shagger said 4-5 months. I'd be happy if they just randomly released a game and see how it fairs. I think it'd be cool. Like rappers releasing mixtapes out of the blue without any prior announcement. 

Without proper marketing and promotion of an expensive budget game in development and just have it released, I'm not sure if it would be able to sell enough to cover the game's development cost. It's definitely not the right approach. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Without proper marketing and promotion of an expensive budget game in development and just have it released, I'm not sure if it would be able to sell enough to cover the game's development cost. It's definitely not the right approach. 

Marketing is important of course, but it's not as if you need to do marketing as soon as possible. Sure, announce you're making a game, but don't market it yet, because I don't think it'd be fair to market something not yet started. That's my point really. Market it when you know it's ready to be marketed. Because if you market something before it's even started, you're posing a problem where you promise something and then it doesn't turn up in the final product. 

That's how I feel anyway. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Marketing is important of course, but it's not as if you need to do marketing as soon as possible. Sure, announce you're making a game, but don't market it yet, because I don't think it'd be fair to market something not yet started. That's my point really. Market it when you know it's ready to be marketed. Because if you market something before it's even started, you're posing a problem where you promise something and then it doesn't turn up in the final product. 

That's how I feel anyway. 

I get your point very well and it's quite understandable. I was merely making a reference to the example you gave with what music artists do with their release of mixtapes which isn't planned or anything because when you have it compared to video games development/production, they are completely different. It might work in the music industry but definitely not in the gaming industry.