Register Now
Crazycrab

The Motorsport Thread

I figured it was probably about time we had a dedicated Motorsport thread on VGR, so here it is!

Feel free to discuss Formula 1, Moto GP, NASCAR, Indy Car, Le Mans, Rally, whatever you want past, present or future.

The only thing I'd ask is that you keep any conversation about racing video games down to a minimum as there are other threads in the gaming section for them already and of course abide by the regular forum rules.

It's the French Grand Prix today at the Paul Riccard Circuit and Charles Lecerc's Ferrari is on pole.  My prediction is that he's not going to be there forever. Red Bull have gone for a lower downforce set up so I think they will be quicker in the race and Max Versappen will ultimately win.

My favourite competition is the formula 1 and Moto Gp.

My favourite formula 1 driver is Lewis Hamilton.

Red bull driver M. Verstappen and Ferrari driver C. Leclerc are the top contenders with most points in F1 right now. 

I am fascinated by fast cars and I want to devote more time to this sport which I haven't been doing in the past .

My earlier prediction of Red Bull having the race pace advantage was true, but it turned out not to matter.  Of the start Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) from 4th got ahead of Sergio Perez (Red Bull) splitting to the Red Bulls.  Max Versappen's Red Bull was clearly the quicker car but couldn't quite get past Lecerc's Ferrari and Max stopped for new tyres.  Then on lap 18 lecerc crashed through (his own admission) an unforced error:

The subsequent safety car was in perfect time for Hamilton who (along with most of the field) stopped for tyres under the safety car gaining a significant advantage promoting him to 2nd place just behind Versappen.  This was a disaster for not just Ferrari who lost the lead, but also for their engine supplied team HAAS who had gained of the start but had to stop early for tyres then had to stop again.

During these pit stops Lecerc's team mate Carlos Sainz (who had started at the back of the grid due to an engine penalty) was unsafely released into the path of Alpine's Fernando Alonso.  This resulted in a 5 second penalty which will have significant consequences later on.

After the safety car Sainz continued to go through the field untill lap 42 and what was one of the most head scratching decisions of the year so far.  He was in the middle of a battle with Red Bull's Sergio Perez when his team called him in to pit for new tyres.  At this point he was in the middle of a battle with Red Bull's Sergio Perez for 3rd. Not only was he understandably pissed at the distraction but it was seemingly pointless since he had overtaken Perez and could have built up a 5 second gap for 3rd place.  Instead he pitted taking his penalty and ended up 9th. finishing 5th.

Just before Sainz pitted Perez became under pressure from Mercedes' George Russell.  On lap 43 into turn 8 Russell went up the inside forcing Perez to cut the corner.  Russell was furious vomiting bullshit like that Perez turned in on him but even his own team was basically telling him he was full of crap, but this dastardly dog would have his day....

On lap 49 Alpha Romeo's Zhou Guanyu stopped at the side of the track resulting in a brief virtual safety car period.  Now before I get into the consequence of this I need to explain more about the virtual safety car.  It's used in situations where there is a risk to the marshalls but it's not serious enough to merit a full safety car and I feel it was definitely the right call here.  Drivers are forbidden from overtaking and must drive 40% slower.  This 40% however is not calculated in real time, it's as an average between specific delta points.  It's during this period George Russell was channeling the dark side and pulled of by far my favourite move of the race. Just before the VSC ended, Russell suddenly slowed down, then sped up so just as the green flags started waving he breezed passed the napping Perez on the restart but because he had slowed down before he was still within that 40% delta when he was passing him.   You beautiful bastard!

Perez made a good effort to reclaim 3rd place but to no avail.  The race ended with Versappen victorious, Hamilton 2nd and Russell 3rd.

Overall a decent race on a track that gets a fairly bad rep.

Verstappen has again proved to be a really good driver and his maneuvering skills to on the tracks is good.

I didn't watch it live but saw highlights of it.

What do you think Perez did wrong during the event with the way Russell was able to overpower him to 3rd place @Crazycrab did you notice any mistakes on his side?

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

What do you think Perez did wrong during the event with the way Russell was able to overpower him to 3rd place @Crazycrab did you notice any mistakes on his side?

Perez seemed to be struggling throughout the weekend, especially compared to Versappen.  I don't think it was any particular mistake on his part when Russell overtook him, Russell exploited a bit of a loophole to get past him.

11 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Perez seemed to be struggling throughout the weekend, especially compared to Versappen.  I don't think it was any particular mistake on his part when Russell overtook him, Russell exploited a bit of a loophole to get past him.

Well, I felt he had a pretty good advantage at the start and was ahead of Russel by a good distance.

And it's been  the same for other races he competed in this weekend.

He is still in the top five though and is still ahead of russell on the 2022 F1 standings I could see him doing better in coming races.

Some big news in F1, 4 time World Champion Sebastian Vettel has announced he is retiring at the end of the 2022 season.  Primarily it seems to spend more time with his family.  He is a great driver and ambassador for the sport and I wish him all the best.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, Crazycrab said:

Some big news in F1, 4 time World Champion Sebastian Vettel has announced he is retiring at the end of the 2022 season.  Primarily it seems to spend more time with his family.  He is a great driver and ambassador for the sport and I wish him all the best.

He is going to be missed In the world of formula 1.

I wish him success in all of his other endeavors.