Register Now
Shagger

Mario Movie Trailer

It's been a few days without anybody posting this on VGR, so I decided to share it. A new digitally animated movie based of the iconic Nintendo games is coming on April 7nth 2023. Here's the trailer...

What I love is the aesthetics, very faithful to the games, but it still looks very much like a modern movie. Bowser (Or is it just King Kuppa?) in particular looks great, again faithful to the game but still quite intimidating. I am a little usure about Chris Pratt as Mario. Not that I envy him the task as finding the right balance between authenticity of the character and avoiding the stereotypical, borderline offensive way Mario has been portrayed in the past. That was always going to be very difficult if not impossible.

Still, there is no way this film can be as bad as the 1993 live action film, and this does look great and I think will be very funny.

Edited by Shagger

The 1993 movie was an abomination that should have been abandoned when the writers wrote the first line.

That said, this movie looks really good. A cartoon is a much better idea than live action. There is so much more that can be done with animation. I mean Dennis Hopper sure as hell doesn't have the ability to breathe fire.

To add to your questioning about Bowser's name, when the hell did Princess Toadstool suddenly become Peach instead? The first time I heard her name being changed was Mario 64. But when and why is what I want to know.

23 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The 1993 movie was an abomination that should have been abandoned when the writers wrote the first line.

That said, this movie looks really good. A cartoon is a much better idea than live action. There is so much more that can be done with animation. I mean Dennis Hopper sure as hell doesn't have the ability to breathe fire.

To add to your questioning about Bowser's name, when the hell did Princess Toadstool suddenly become Peach instead? The first time I heard her name being changed was Mario 64. But when and why is what I want to know.

As much as I would like to joke about how it's true Dennis Hopper (RIP) may not be able to breath fire but can still blow a lot of hot air, the truth is for me was  he was one of the few things to like about that movie. Yes, like everything else the role was written terribly, but it was a lot of fun watching him try to make something memorable out of it.