Register Now
The Blackangel

Wearing Kilts?

Why all of a sudden are so many men ditching their jeans for kilts? I'm seeing it all the time and just about everywhere. Including some shows that I watch on Hulu. If it's your heritage, that's one thing. But most of them don't know their heritage, or just don't care. I'm not trying to complain about anything. Dress however the hell you want. If you want to go out with nothing but red horns glued to your forehead and a plastic tail shoved up your ass, go for it. I'm just confused why and when this became such a phenomenon. These guys wear more open bottom clothing than I do. I know it's leaps and bounds different. It was just the best analogy that I could think of.

Maybe it's because I'm female that I don't get it. It's interesting, and I have no problem with it. I'm just confused.

It's something that's been going on in the past 5 years or so. I have no clue where it originated from either - I just find it kind of disrespectful to wear it incorrectly and it's not apart of their heritage. It's a symbol of honor for Scottish clans and is a longstanding tradition. I also felt the same way when the Black Panther movie came out and suddenly, everyone is is Dashikis when they didn't even know what it represented.

Well, AS a Scotsman, I'm not really insulted by this, but wearing something just to be a part of a fad is the wrong reason to wear anything, especially traditional dress. I have worn a kilt both inside and outside of, let's say, "traditional functions", and whilst they are more comfortable than they might look, they're not practical. Let me put it this way, the Sporran;

sporran.thumb.jpg.488d4ba455bdd29344dafd7e30b1167b.jpg

Is all but essential not just for the look, but because a kilt obviously doesn't have pockets. I'm only pointing that out to show that there is no real reason to wear one of these things outside of an occasion, an event. The fad @The Blackangel described will fade and just go away to be replaced by some other short term, trendy nonsense no doubt. Still, people have done things way more expensive and reckless in an attempt to make themselves look like trend-following twits, so I'm really that concerned about this.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

I just find it kind of disrespectful to wear it incorrectly and it's not apart of their heritage. It's a symbol of honor for Scottish clans and is a longstanding tradition.

As a Scotsman to tell the truth I'm not really bothered.  It's like wearing a Tuxedo to the Wacken Heavy Metal Festival.  It's a little ridiculous but ultimately harmless.

On 10/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, Crazycrab said:

As a Scotsman to tell the truth I'm not really bothered.  It's like wearing a Tuxedo to the Wacken Heavy Metal Festival.  It's a little ridiculous but ultimately harmless.

That's fine by you but others don't take so kindly to it. To top it all off, some of the ways it's being worn is bizarre to say the least.