Register Now
Kane99

Video games that had scratch and sniff? Huh, what? 😕

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-only-video-games-to-ever-include-scratch-and-sniff/ar-AA14GJa5

So I guess this was a thing for a few games in the past. I read an article (above) about how some games released with a scratch and sniff option. For example, the article discusses how the PAL version of Gran Turismo 2 has a disc called the "Pit-Stop Disc" which is said to smell like burnt rubber and gasoline. This article here discusses just that game - https://anihilistabroad.com/2020/04/i-just-discovered-the-scratch-and-sniff-ps1-disc-that-still-smells-good/ and in that article, the person discussed buying the game again, and finding out after 20 years the smell is still there. 

The main article discusses the other games to have it as well. Those games being: 

• FIFA 2001 - Another with a scratch and sniff disc, this time with the smell of a soccer field
  • Leisure Suit Larry: Love For Sail! - A bit different, this time the game came with a snatch and sniff sheet with 9 different colors called "Cybersniff 2000." The colors reflected perfume, chocolate, etc. The game would actually tell you when you scratch and sniff these colors. It's become a huge thing, that these sheets are collectible now and are hard to come by. 

That's all that the article discusses. But it does make me wonder if any games released in the past with scratch and sniff stickers or cards or something. 

But yeah, this was something I didn't know about, so it's kinda cool. It kinda reminded me of a time I got an album from an indie metal band that had incense & perfume put all over the cover art and booklet. Still smells to this day. 

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

Anyone who knows anything about Leisure Suit Larry would not want to smell anything to associated with it.

haha fair. When I read that on the list I first thought it'd be something gross.

Though I do wonder how much these sheets are worth now. I'll have to keep an eye out for the game, maybe they're worth a some good money. :D 

This is crazy and I honestly did not know that there was anything such as scratch and sniff for video games. When thinking about some of the games we have I could not imagine how bad some of the scratch and sniff options would be for some games if it was a normal thing for all games. I feel it is a little weird to make the disc the thing that you scratch and sniff though. Is it just a disk on its own for that sole purpose or is it the game as well? Still a very interesting thing that I didn't even know was a thing.