Register Now
ImmersionGaming22

Right bit of a weird one for you, regarding uploading your psyche into a video game!! :)

On 12/17/2022 at 10:58 AM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

Hi again Kane99, i hope your well! 🙂

No mate ive not watched Chappie or upload, but i will defo have a look now you have made me aware of them! As to your comment regarding the uploaded self being a copy, my thinking on that was that the operation could only be done once because the process of copying a whole human beings psyche, is that evasive that it effectively ends your human life and you then become the digital format of yourself. This is why i said i would only opt for it when i was at the end of my life, or same as people can carry donor cards, to donate their organs should the worst happen, you would be able to carry the "download my psyche" card if you were in some sort of accident etc etc, so from that point on you would no longer exists in your flesh and blood form and only in the digital form, which obviously rules out the copy scenario lol But yes mate i totally get your point of if the real you and digital you were to co exists, the digital you would be a copy, ending at the point when it was created, but it would from that point on have its own memories from whatever world it was uploaded too, so i guess from then on if you were both to still co exists you would become 2 different people, because its our life experiences that makes us who and what we are, hahaha like i said to Reality vs Adventure above mate, this was a hard topic to convey, as there are so many variables and what ifs, as then there would be the morality of it all too to contend with, but yes mate it is  very interesting topic and no to far off ready player 1 in some respects, although obviously that's more around VR with all the haptics suits on and so forth. I was just interested if anyone would go for it and what world they would want to be uploaded too, as i can sit and chat for hours over the technical side of it but probs not the best idea on here loll as it would go on for pages lol

I do like you idea too though regarding popping your grey matter out and plugging that into the world instead, reminds me of the baddie robot in Robocop 2, where they took the brain out of Kane, the big drug dealer guy and plonked it in a big military grade robot that dwarfed Robocop (what could possibly go wrong with that idea lol) But yes mate for you are right it would be cool and at the rate of progression we are traveling at with technology, it wont be long before a lot of the above is possible and i for one cant wait to see what they come up with next! 🙂

Thanks, I'm doing well. Hope you're doing well too. :) 

My point is that you as you are now, will not be experiencing this new digital life you speak of. So really the practical effect of this would be more for people who have lost a loved one, and want to bring them back in a digital form, to talk to them and hang out with them again. But it's not the same as the living, breathing person, even if VR and graphics get to a point of realism. I just don't see it ever being possible to sort of teleport your mind into a digital thing. I get copying, but I don't think it's possible to move you over to a new host is what I mean. 

Does that make more sense? I hope I made my point clear. The idea sounds cool, but I think this would be best for people to see their deceased loved ones again, even if it's in a digital format.  

On 12/27/2022 at 6:48 PM, StaceyPowers said:

The Fallout universe actually wouldn't be a bad place to end up. Where else can you get self-healing limbs from radiation exposure? 

Hmm, if @The Blackangel will be uploaded with her memory wiped, I'll be uploaded where she goes so we can meet all over again.

Hahahaha I do love the fallout worlds, i love that 2nd world war era theme, but more advanced than we actually were in the 40's and 50's it really cool lol like Mr Handy for example with his extremely British accent and the guard robots that looked like the robot from lost in space, they were way beyond the capability of that era but that just added to the charm of fallout in a very steam punky way, which i loved! 🙂 how cool would it be to visit megaton, the city with a live atom bomb at its center lol would defo not want to be a ghoul though! 🙂 anyway happy new year all lets make 2023 a good un! 🙂

On 12/27/2022 at 11:16 PM, Kane99 said:

Thanks, I'm doing well. Hope you're doing well too. 🙂

My point is that you as you are now, will not be experiencing this new digital life you speak of. So really the practical effect of this would be more for people who have lost a loved one, and want to bring them back in a digital form, to talk to them and hang out with them again. But it's not the same as the living, breathing person, even if VR and graphics get to a point of realism. I just don't see it ever being possible to sort of teleport your mind into a digital thing. I get copying, but I don't think it's possible to move you over to a new host is what I mean. 

Does that make more sense? I hope I made my point clear. The idea sounds cool, but I think this would be best for people to see their deceased loved ones again, even if it's in a digital format.  

Hi again Kane99 hope you had a good xmas and happy new year bud! 🙂

Oh yet mate i totally get your point, its the same as restoring your windows on your PC from a created restore point! When you restore windows you will only have restored everything to the point of making the restore point, anything you installed or did after that would be lost. I watched a film like that, as what your talking about is like making a digital copy of yourself and storing it for future use, so like you say for grieving relatives for example! i cant remember the name of the film now its annoying me, but this company in the film used to make digital back ups of its most important employee's or something like that just in case the worst should happen, but then it came out about them uploading the copy of one of the main characters into the body of someone else, by accident i believe but i cant be 100% sure as it was years ago that i watched it. anyway i think there was a big twist in the film to do with them uploading people into other peoples bodies without their permission, therefore overwriting them, i think it also went down the line of the rich and powerful being uploaded into the poor but much younger people who in effect sold their younger bodies then were uploaded into the older knackered bodies of the rich people! Crazy stuff but a very good film if i remember rightly! ill let you know if i remember its name! 🙂

Like i say though im talking more about tech that makes an exact copy of your brain, which kills you in you flesh and blood form, but the digital form of you is you warts and all, as its the only version of you left, so it differs from the above copy and store method that you are describing above, as that is just copying someone's psyche, so would not be classed as a person because the real person still exists if that makes sense lol it is in effect just a back up copy. The tech im talking about is separate to that as this is about uploading your complete psyche into a PC of some kind, where you would still exist but just digitally, Im going to post a link below to the Wiki page about this tech as it mentions both the creating a copy of someone and completely uploading someone into a PC which in effect destroys the brain.

Also though bud i would not rule it out as impossible, as in reality everything that makes us us is stored within the brain, unless you believe in the human soul, which then may also be stored in the brain, but as its not proven either way whether we have a soul or not its a mute point lol but yeah as i was saying all that makes us who we are is stored in the brain, everything else is just meat and organs needed to keep us alive, so if they do find a way to make an exact copy of everything inside a human brain, so that would be everything that makes you you, your emotions, habits good and bad, your accent, your body language your way of thinking, so if you are a logical thinker or an impulsive person etc etc etc all the info of you is in the brain and the brain functions though electrical impulses, so i dont see it as to far fetched that one day this will be very real indeed, but like i said before when it becomes possible it will spark furious debates over the morality of it all and rightly so, as this kind of tech could be open to some serious forms of abuse. 

Here is a paragraph from the wiki page i mentioned about this kind of tech, ill post the link to the wiki page below, as its really interesting reading, but yeah in this paragraph it mentions about much of the tech and knowledge to achieve this are already available, but there are still gaps in the needed tech and knowledge, but at the current rate we are progressing tech wise as a species, i personally believe its only a matter of time! 🙂 

here's the paragraph! 

Substantial mainstream research in related areas is being conducted in animal brain mapping and simulation, development of faster supercomputers, virtual reality, brain–computer interfaces, connectomics, and information extraction from dynamically functioning brains.[4] According to supporters, many of the tools and ideas needed to achieve mind uploading already exist or are currently under active development; however, they will admit that others are, as yet, very speculative, but say they are still in the realm of engineering possibility.

So yeah mate dont write it off yet as impossible! 🙂 But yeah i did say mate its a very difficult topic to convey, as it has so many variables and grey area's (literally lol) and it sounds like you, like me, are a very logical thinker, so need to know the ifs and buts of how the tech would work and if its even possible lol that's why we could chat for hours over it all, and the possible problems with it! 🙂 But yeah mate i would have a gander at the wiki post about the tech and see what you think, could be closer than you thought 🙂 happy new year bud! 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_uploading

On 12/30/2022 at 7:38 PM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

Hi again Kane99 hope you had a good xmas and happy new year bud! 🙂

Like i say though im talking more about tech that makes an exact copy of your brain, which kills you in you flesh and blood form, but the digital form of you is you warts and all, as its the only version of you left, so it differs from the above copy and store method that you are describing above, as that is just copying someone's psyche, so would not be classed as a person because the real person still exists if that makes sense lol it is in effect just a back up copy. The tech im talking about is separate to that as this is about uploading your complete psyche into a PC of some kind, where you would still exist but just digitally, Im going to post a link below to the Wiki page about this tech as it mentions both the creating a copy of someone and completely uploading someone into a PC which in effect destroys the brain.

Also though bud i would not rule it out as impossible, as in reality everything that makes us us is stored within the brain, unless you believe in the human soul, which then may also be stored in the brain, but as its not proven either way whether we have a soul or not its a mute point lol but yeah as i was saying all that makes us who we are is stored in the brain, everything else is just meat and organs needed to keep us alive, so if they do find a way to make an exact copy of everything inside a human brain, so that would be everything that makes you you, your emotions, habits good and bad, your accent, your body language your way of thinking, so if you are a logical thinker or an impulsive person etc etc etc all the info of you is in the brain and the brain functions though electrical impulses, so i dont see it as to far fetched that one day this will be very real indeed, but like i said before when it becomes possible it will spark furious debates over the morality of it all and rightly so, as this kind of tech could be open to some serious forms of abuse. 

Here is a paragraph from the wiki page i mentioned about this kind of tech, ill post the link to the wiki page below, as its really interesting reading, but yeah in this paragraph it mentions about much of the tech and knowledge to achieve this are already available, but there are still gaps in the needed tech and knowledge, but at the current rate we are progressing tech wise as a species, i personally believe its only a matter of time! 🙂 

here's the paragraph! 

Substantial mainstream research in related areas is being conducted in animal brain mapping and simulation, development of faster supercomputers, virtual reality, brain–computer interfaces, connectomics, and information extraction from dynamically functioning brains.[4] According to supporters, many of the tools and ideas needed to achieve mind uploading already exist or are currently under active development; however, they will admit that others are, as yet, very speculative, but say they are still in the realm of engineering possibility.

So yeah mate dont write it off yet as impossible! 🙂 But yeah i did say mate its a very difficult topic to convey, as it has so many variables and grey area's (literally lol) and it sounds like you, like me, are a very logical thinker, so need to know the ifs and buts of how the tech would work and if its even possible lol that's why we could chat for hours over it all, and the possible problems with it! 🙂 But yeah mate i would have a gander at the wiki post about the tech and see what you think, could be closer than you thought 🙂 happy new year bud! 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_uploading

I just find it highly unrealistic and improbable. And I don't see how it would be "you" continuing that life. I don't think we'll ever get to a point where that will be a possibility. I think the likely chance is that we can copy our brains over, but it wouldn't be us living that life, we'd be dead with a virtual version of us. It'd be a new version of us, with our thoughts, memories, etc living our lives for us. 

I guess I just don't see how it'd be you continuing your life. I think once your real life brain is killed, that version of you dies with it. Any transfer is just a copy of you. That's how I see it anyway. 

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I just find it highly unrealistic and improbable. And I don't see how it would be "you" continuing that life. I don't think we'll ever get to a point where that will be a possibility. I think the likely chance is that we can copy our brains over, but it wouldn't be us living that life, we'd be dead with a virtual version of us. It'd be a new version of us, with our thoughts, memories, etc living our lives for us. 

I guess I just don't see how it'd be you continuing your life. I think once your real life brain is killed, that version of you dies with it. Any transfer is just a copy of you. That's how I see it anyway. 

Hi again Kane99! 🙂

Yes mate you completely justified in your opinion and not wrong in any sense, as its impossible to be wrong when discussing tech that, as of now, does not exist! 🙂 this is also why this sort of topic could be discussed at length regarding the possibility, viability, morality etc etc etc buut as it is purely hypothetical at this point we wont truly know until we try! 🙂 or if we ever try, which based on the human races past im very sure we will lol

This argument is much the same as the discussion about AI and if it became sentient would it have a soul? As what you are saying is if an exact copy of your brain was made, synapses and everything, but in a digital format, would it not be you, as it would think like you, behave like you, talk like you, love the same people you do and have all your memories and past experiences? The only reason that its not you in my mind is if you believe in the human soul, as apart from the flesh and blood aspect of you, the soul is the only other thing that could possibly be missing??

Hahahaha its a mind bender this one mate, ive thought about it so many times and everyone will have different opinions, as its only based on what we believe is possible at this point, but its the AI discussion that first got me thinking about this a few films have touched on it too, like Blade Runner (one of my favorite films) where the were trying o establish if a replicant could have a soul ("I feel therefore i am") 🙂

Like i say Kane, its a very deep and complex topic, which if you really start peeling up all the layers of gets very deep, but one i find fascinating and as we are at the very beginning of our AI journey as we speak, its one that will become very prominent going forward for the human race! But again mate i totally get your stance on it and can assure you millions will think the same, but none of us know how far this tech could actually go, which is what fascinates me! 🙂

On 12/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

I hear what your saying, as we've all been through crap we would rather forget, but on the other hand mate i believe its those bad experiences that give us strength and define us, as at the end of the day mate your still here, so speaks volumes about your strength of character and makes you a much harder target for anyone else who might try take the p*!s out of you! If you were to have your memory wiped, you would in effect be starting again, which may have its pro's, but you would then have to learn the hard lessons all over again too, so i think i personally would keep all my memories, good and bad, as that is all part of me and who i am now! 🙂 but again mate its a matter of opinion, there is no wrong or right answer, only personal preference! I can understand though why some might choose to unload their unwanted baggage, if it causes more hurt than it gives strength to you! 🙂

I do have to agree that I've learned way more from the bad experiences and they've really helped me out when I run into tough situations in life. How to stay calm rather than always panic when everything's going wrong.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I do have to agree that I've learned way more from the bad experiences and they've really helped me out when I run into tough situations in life. How to stay calm rather than always panic when everything's going wrong.

Me too mate, but we all deal with things differently and have been through different levels of bad times, so i can also get how someone might not be able to cope due to the memories they are lumbered with, so in those cases i can totally understand why certain people would want to be liberated from specific memories! It would be awesome if we could pinpoint specific memories to wipe rather than a complete re format lol

But yeah mate for me personally, ill keep mine as like you say they have put me in better stead when dealing with similar situations and made me much more careful who i place my trust in, which in todays world isn't a bad trait to have unfortunately! 😞 

On 12/25/2022 at 8:04 PM, The Blackangel said:

So this is basically a Matrix question? Aren't we already doing that? I mean the only difference I can see from your question is that we choose the world we would live in. If it's my option, it would easily be Hyrule. The N64 Ocarina Of Time version. My personal favorite. It's an extremely laid back world, as long as Ganon is kept in check. There is one other option that comes to mind for me. The world of FF8. I've always wanted to live in Fisherman's Horizon (FH). It seems to be so laid back. Quiet. Calm. Peaceful. If that wasn't an option, the only other town I would want to live in would have to be Winhill.

RDR2 does have a foot in this race, but that's just because there are so many cabins and shacks to choose from.

Sorry Blackangel, i thought i had quoted you on this comment! 😞

As to your comment, yeah i suppose it is similar to the Matrix, but not as serious! 🙂 dont get me going on the Matrix subject and how we are all blind to reality, as this comment will be about 20 pages long lol 

As to Hyrule, i was never really a big Zelda fan if im honest, although i have played some of it in the past. I can see why you would like the world though, in much the same way why i would like the Skyrim or Dragonage worlds. I do agree with your comment about the FF8 world though, i also stated in one of my above comments that i would love to visit both FF7 and FF8 worlds, as those are the two FF's that had the most impact on me and that i really got into, they would defo have to contain the soundtrack though, as that was one of the biggest immersion factors of the FF games! 🙂 also yeah RDR2 without a doubt! 🙂