Register Now
Smokey

Arcade 1UP cabinets.

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm not familiar with the Raspberry Pi. What is it? Is it like an external hard drive? Or is it something else? I'm curious.

It appears @Kane99 has just jumped in there before me. It may be redundant now, but I'll post it anyway.

The Raspberry Pi's are a line of single board computers that were first developed around 2012 to be an educational tools to aid in the education of computing and electronics in developing countries.

Raspberry_Pi_4_Model_B_-_Side.thumb.jpg.6383790e75288d3959eb0587b95dfff7.jpg

The model shown here is the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B

The idea is that teachers would used this small, but fully functional computer to tutor kids in basic programming. The design would also allow the kids to learn about the components such as the CPU and the RAM.

Whilst it has served it's intended purpose and been very successful, the Raspberry Pi's low cost and versatility has also made it popular for robotics, weather monitoring and amongst technology hobbyist for loads of different applications.

So to me, it makes perfect sense to have this drive a retro arcade cabinmate of some sort.

57 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm not familiar with the Raspberry Pi. What is it? Is it like an external hard drive? Or is it something else? I'm curious.

Like @Kane99 mentioned, the Raspberry Pi is essentially a miniature computer.  Their small form factor has made them very popular as an emulation platform.  There has been people pitting these things inside old consoles like the NES for years, hell there are even after market NES style cases you can buy for them!

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/nespi-4-case?variant=32206425686099

2_7a444e22-c284-4032-bc7c-6a2dc32cad67_7

That "NES Cartridge" is actually an 2.5" SSD/HDD caddy!   Crazy!