Register Now
Smokey

Arcade 1UP cabinets.

What are your thoughts on these affordable arcade cabinets? Do you own any? They make lots of different classic arcade games such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Marvel Vs Capcom, The Simpsons Arcade game, to name a few.  I would love to get a couple of these myself for my basement but i don't have the space at the moment 😞 I think when i'm finally able to remodel my basement a bit more, I might buy a few of these for the back of the room. I always wanted an arcade cabinet, now they make ones that are affordable to the average joe.  Do you own any Arcade1Up cabinets? if so, which one(s)?

I don't own any Arcade1Up Cabinets no but they do look awesome and it is something I would love to get myself one day if I was ever able to and had the room to as I feel it would be cool to have a huge gaming room with these included. I have always wanted a gamer room and I know my kids being gamers as well would love something like this to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Shortie said:

I don't own any Arcade1Up Cabinets no but they do look awesome and it is something I would love to get myself one day if I was ever able to and had the room to as I feel it would be cool to have a huge gaming room with these included. I have always wanted a gamer room and I know my kids being gamers as well would love something like this to be honest. 

Move to the US and we'll get a house big enough for one 😛  just an idea 😉

They look cool, but are kinda small from what I hear. That's why they released a riser for them soon after they released. I wouldn't mind one or two myself, but I think owning a classic arcade machine would be a lot cooler. Always had interest in buying a classic one for my house, but I don't know if I could afford one of those. 

Maybe I'll get one of the 1uparcades that allow for multiple games. Do they make those? Or are all of them themed around certain games? 

Why not just build a control panel, attach it to a painted base cabinet and attach a TV mount and you basically have the same thing and probably for cheaper. I mean I thought about that once but then why would I even bother doing that nowdays. 

11 hours ago, Empire said:

Why not just build a control panel, attach it to a painted base cabinet and attach a TV mount and you basically have the same thing and probably for cheaper. I mean I thought about that once but then why would I even bother doing that nowdays. 

you'd still need the PCB for the control panel, it'd be easier to just buy the Arcade1UP 😛  They often go on sale for ~$300 too, so they aren't all that expensive if you wait for the right time to strike. 😛

On 12/20/2022 at 11:37 PM, Smokey said:

you'd still need the PCB for the control panel, it'd be easier to just buy the Arcade1UP 😛  They often go on sale for ~$300 too, so they aren't all that expensive if you wait for the right time to strike. 😛

Not everyone has that amount of cash to even afford to do that 😛 I mean not like that person will be using it everyday and watch Netflix at the same time when you are done playing  😛

On 12/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, Smokey said:

You can also build your own cabinet. It's not hard at all. I've built several, despite my limits. You just need the wood for the frame, paint, a TV, and a console. It works best with digital consoles if you don't want that open disc drive on the side of your cabinet. Download a lot of games to the console, hook it up to the TV, run cable wires to the inside of the cabinet, splice the wires between a joystick and buttons, then also give yourself a game controller if you want that option. It's child's play really.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

You can also build your own cabinet. It's not hard at all. I've built several, despite my limits. You just need the wood for the frame, paint, a TV, and a console. It works best with digital consoles if you don't want that open disc drive on the side of your cabinet. Download a lot of games to the console, hook it up to the TV, run cable wires to the inside of the cabinet, splice the wires between a joystick and buttons, then also give yourself a game controller if you want that option. It's child's play really.

I wouldn't mind building my own cabinet, could easily be done with a standard monitor, a raspberry pi and emulation. Or you could make a spot for consoles to connect to if that's the route you'd prefer to go. Sadly I'm not good at making things, so I'd have to have someone else make a cabinet. If I do it, it's going to have every console/game I can get. 

Get a good console and have someone who is able to hack it load as many games as they can on the hard drive. Some people can make games have a little less file size and get thousands on one machine. If you find the right hacker you could end up with the entire NES, SNES, and N64 library's on there. If you take an Xbox One, you could get the entire Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One library's on it. The same with PlayStation from PS1 to PS5. You may be able to get games from all of the big 3. It just takes some good hacking skills. Which I unfortunately do not possess.😢

3 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Get a good console and have someone who is able to hack it load as many games as they can on the hard drive. Some people can make games have a little less file size and get thousands on one machine. If you find the right hacker you could end up with the entire NES, SNES, and N64 library's on there. If you take an Xbox One, you could get the entire Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One library's on it. The same with PlayStation from PS1 to PS5. You may be able to get games from all of the big 3. It just takes some good hacking skills. Which I unfortunately do not possess.😢

Yeah that's one option. I figure with a raspberry pi you have a lot more space to utilize. They are essentially a small box that work like a small PC. I have one that I used as an emulation station, all I would need is a good arcade controller, or maybe standard 360 controllers or something. 

Hacking an older console is a viable option too. I'm just thinking about how much space I can utilize and space I can maybe save for adding other things. If you want modern games, I say installing a good PC would be a great idea if you could afford it. But for me, I think the raspberry pi is more practical for building a cheap arcade. And you'll have more options for controllers and other peripherals you can install. 

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm not familiar with the Raspberry Pi. What is it? Is it like an external hard drive? Or is it something else? I'm curious.

It's pretty much a small form PC that you can buy by the board. This is what it looks before you put it in a case (left). Mine looked similar but was an earlier model. The image on the right is when you put it in a case. You can buy many different cases, or even make your own if you know how. 

R.cb8f7dcc9c8cf708968b9e7f24c531b3?rik=w3OnxtYeWzmxIQ&pid=ImgRaw&r=03130.jpg

It can be used for many things, like building robots, coding, using it as a PC etc. All you need to do is install an OS on an micro sd card and that's really it. There are guides online how to set it up with emulation station, which works with raspberry pi os. You can connect USB controllers and map the controller depending on game/console etc. 

I'm probably not making much sense, but the guide I used was pretty easy to follow, just tedious if anything. I couldn't find the guide I used years ago, but I was able to find this guide that looks to go step by step - https://www.instructables.com/Raspberry-Pi-Emulation-Station-1/

Reading that, they mention an OS called RetroPie, which is needed for Emulation station. - https://retropie.org.uk/

Another thing I used my raspberry pi was for a cheap PC I used for streaming some content on my bigscreen tv. Sadly it died on me a couple months ago, I think it shorted out somehow. And now it won't turn on. :( But the good thing is that they're pretty cheap. The newest one right now, I believe goes for like $60 for just the board, but based on the amount of RAM you want, and you can find kits online for the case/charger/SD card for a decent price as well. I just checked the site, and one retailer is selling the Raspberry Pi 4 for $75 with 8gb, which is probably what I would go with for RAM. 

And then for the actual emulation, I used https://emulationstation.org/ which pretty much combines all emulators into one package, so all you'd then need to do is find your roms and that's it. Some of the newer models will work with PS1 and N64. Not sure if it can do later stuff like PS2 and up, but I could be wrong. My Raspberry pi was older, so it didn't work so well with N64 games and later. 

And the link to the Raspberry pi site here - https://www.raspberrypi.com/ they will list retailers that sell them. They may be tough to come by lately due to the recent shortage of boards and other PC parts lately. 

They make other boards for tech projects, but I only ever used the raspberry pi boards they sell.