Register Now
Smokey

Dead or Alive

Anyone a fan of this fighting game series? I really got into it on the Dreamcast back in the day with Dead or Alive 2, and then bought the enhanced edition on the PS2 when it came out. I really liked it, unfortunately after the 2nd game, the 3rd and 4th games were xbox and xbox 360 exclusives respectively, so at that time I didn't get to play either of those until years later when I got my 360.  I'm looking forward to the 7th game coming out in a couple of years. I still play DOA2 on my Dreamcast using a fight stick to this day.

Are you a fan of DOA games? Who's your favorite fighter? I usually played as Zack and annoyed people I beat 😛

I honestly never played Dead or Alive myself but my brothers played it and it did look like a game I would be interested in but my brothers being how they were back then wouldn't always let me play so I gave up and never bothered. I would love to play them though at some point if I am honest. 

On 12/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, Shortie said:

I honestly never played Dead or Alive myself but my brothers played it and it did look like a game I would be interested in but my brothers being how they were back then wouldn't always let me play so I gave up and never bothered. I would love to play them though at some point if I am honest. 

There's a few of them on the 360/Xbox One and are usually pretty cheap 😛 

1 minute ago, Smokey said:

There's a few of them on the 360/Xbox One and are usually pretty cheap 😛 

May have to check that out and see if I can pick them up when I have some extra funds to be able to do so. Would love to be able to play a game I never was able to and it would give me something different to play if I am honest when I feel l like a change from the usual. 

I started playing Dead Or Alive on the original PS1 and I've played almost every single game. It has its flaws but I thought the characters in the first 4 games were actually pretty unique in terms of fighting style and personality. 5 and 6 kind of disappointed me though but Team Ninja says there's a reboot in the works so I hope this revives the series. Unlike a good amount of people who played it, I didn't play it just to see the female characters' assets jiggling.

Edited by killamch89

8 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I started playing Dead Or Alive on the original PS1 and I've played almost every single game. It has its flaws but I thought the characters in the first 4 games were actually pretty unique in terms of fighting style and personality. 5 and 6 kind of disappointed me though but Team Ninja says there's a reboot in the works so I hope this revives the series. Unlike a good amount of people who played it, I didn't play it just to see the female characters' assets jiggling.

Oh damn don't remind me. I once convinced my mom to let me buy DoA2 on PS2 because it was a cool fighting game, but in reality I was a stupid kid who just wanted to look at the jiggle effects. When I went to the store to buy it I felt so embarrassed that I just never got it. I got 3 when I started collecting Xbox games awhile back and had a great time in the arcade mode. Super impressive graphics for the time, and it feels really fast and powerful to play. As for favourite fighter, I'm pretty sure I played Hayabusa the most, and then maybe Tina?

I wish I could remember what I bought instead...

Edited by Tonberry

Just now, Tonberry said:

Oh damn don't remind me. I once convinced my mom to let me buy DoA2 on PS2 because it was a cool fighting game, but in reality I was a stupid kid who just wanted to look at the jiggle effects. When I went to the store to buy it I felt so embarrassed that I just never got it. I got 3 when I started collecting Xbox games awhile back and had a great time in the arcade mode. Super impressive graphics for the time, and it feels really fast and powerful to play.

I wish I could remember what I bought instead...

It's okay if that's why you wanted to buy it for the jiggling effects but I was just saying that I actually liked it as a fighting series. I was exposed to a lot of stuff as a kid so things like that didn't phase me at all.

Just now, killamch89 said:

It's okay if that's why you wanted to buy it for the jiggling effects but I was just saying that I actually liked it as a fighting series. I was exposed to a lot of stuff as a kid so things like that didn't phase me at all.

Yeah I didn't play many fighting games at that point (It came way later) so I wonder if getting the game would have made me a fighting fan earlier.

1 minute ago, Tonberry said:

Yeah I didn't play many fighting games at that point (It came way later) so I wonder if getting the game would have made me a fighting fan earlier.

It's always been a solid series and probably the most realistic one out there. You didn't have any super powered demons like Kazuya and his bloodline from Tekken, a Soul devouring demon like Knightmare from Soul Calibur or anything of that sort. Just humans with exaggerated (more on the moderate side but still) athleticism - that's mainly why I liked it.