Register Now
Ravenfreak

Playstation Portal

Today Sony unveiled their latest handheld they announced back in May. The Playstation Portal is a Sony official remote play device for the PS5. The Playstation Portal will cost $199, and is set to release later this year. It's odd that the abbreviation for the device is PSP, I wish we were getting a standalone Playstation handheld but ah well. I might get it at some point, maybe when the price drops. Of course there's always the option to remote play your PS5 games on your phone, so you don't necessarily need this device. You can read more about it on their blog: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/08/23/playstations-first-remote-play-dedicated-device-playstation-portal-remote-player-to-launch-later-this-year-at-199-99/

It looks interesting, but I just wonder if it truly is capable of what it's claiming. Could it handle AAA games like Skyrim and RDR2? I'm skeptical, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Considering that I don't neither need nor want it, I'll wait and see how it does before making any decisions on whether I would consider buying or not.

As much as this does look interesting and it is something I believe will sell quite a lot, especially when those who are PlayStation fans jump on it at this price.

I am not a PlayStation gamer so much myself and prefer Xbox but this is definitely awesome to see from Sony!

On 11/23/2023 at 9:25 AM, Dismal_Bliss said:

Do you have to be in the same home and on the same WiFi network as the PS5? Or can you take it anywhere, like on vacation?

Great question! Going by what I'm seeing, it looks like it has to be played in the home. Like it's something that links to your PS5, but instead can only show you what your PS5 is doing. If you were wanting to play a game on it but want to do it from bed, you would have to find it, put your disc (if you didn't go strictly digital) get the machine booted up and logged in and then play. It's a lot of hassle if you ask me.

I mean, if I'm being honest, this device isn't worth anywhere near the asking price that Sony has set. $200? For what? You can already stream games using Steam and there's also Playstation Plus which has a similar feature making this device redundant.