Register Now
Debashis

Which was the first racing game that you played on your PC?

I still remember the first racing game I played on my PC when I was maybe  5 or 6 years old! It was Road Rash! 

I used to really enjoy playing it. Not much interested in the race but kicking other riders out! 😂

Which was your first one? 

road_rash.png

My first computer was a 286, with a hard drive of 2g. It used 5¼ floppy's and could only run Dot Matrix programs. It had a couple fun games on it, but nothing spectacular. At the time though, a 2g hard drive was huge, both physically and in it's storage capacity. People didn't use them for much other than printing out documents. And that was the printer paper that had the hole strips on the sides, so the printer could move forward on the page. This was before the internet was even invented. The internet didn't exist until I was a teenager. I would guess it was around the time I was 16 or 17 when the internet came out.

It might not have been the first, but the first I remember was a game called Screamer.

It was a great looking game for it's time with a vibrant colour pallet and an impressive level of detail, even if as you can see in the video that the draw distance was pretty terrible. It wasn't exactly the most fun to control either with the cars feeling very stiff when turning slowly to then breaking loose big time and slide all over the place. And of cause, you had to use the keyboard, which made the idea of trying to use the manual versions of the cars to scary to even to try for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved it as a kid, but I know that would have pretty poorly. There wasn't much in terms of a verity of tracks and cars, but for 1995 I suppose it was acceptable and cars did feel district and the tracks had verity with very different demands and driving styles required to get the best out of them.

There was one thing, though, that it did brilliantly. If you could set the sound up to use the CD tracks instead of the default sound font for the music (Oh yes, GONFIG and SETUP programmes for games, gotta love the 90's), what you would get is one of the best game soundtracks ever.

Edited by Shagger

I can honestly say that I don't remember the very first racing game I ever played on PC as I tend to play more racing games on console than on PC.

If I had to guess, it would probably have been Burnout Paradise that was the first game I played on PC in terms of racing.