Register Now
The Blackangel

Questions And Explanations

There's a lot of talk about this and that with people building their own PC's. Most of what they're talking about is something I personally have no clue what it is. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. So I'm going to pin this thread and see if it gains much traction. If it does, we'll keep it pinned. If not, we'll let it fall into the depths of the PC forum.

The first question is what the hell are peripherals?

Edited by The Blackangel

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

There's a lot of talk about this and that with people building their own PC's. Most of what they're talking about is something I personally have no clue what it is. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. So I'm going to pin this thread and see if it gains much traction. If itdoes, we'll keep it pinned. If not, we'll let it fall into the depths of the PC forum.

The first question is what the hell are peripherals?

First off, great thread. This could indeed be very helpful.

Second, peripherals are simply external devices one attaches and/or connects to a PC (or even a console) to enable specific functions. A keyboard or a mouse are peripherals, a controller is a peripheral. A display, like a TV, monitor or whatever is a peripheral. The remote for your TV or cable box is a peripheral.

When it comes to building PC's, some more specific advice is required. I'd do what I can for people, but to go though everything I know it would be inconveniently long for all off us. So, I'll offer instead a Q/A style thing on this thread. And not just me, I'm sure others will try thier best to help.. Ask, and I'm sure the community will do our best to answer.

The only stupid question is one that's never asked.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

@Kane99 made a post about Linux Distros. I have no idea what that is. I know what Linux is. But add in the word "Distros" and I'm completely lost.

Linux Distros short for Distributions are just different versions of Linux created by other people. Since Linux is an open-source operating system, anyone can make their own version of it and call it whatever they want. Ubuntu for example is a Linux distribution. It uses the same code, but expands upon it to make it their own. Ubuntu has other versions like Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu and a few more. Kubuntu is like Ubuntu but uses a different file system I believe. Xubuntu I think is supposed to be a low resource OS that can run on older hardware and Edubuntu is more geared towards education purposes. 

There are a ton of different ones out there, Wikipedia has a good list of them, even puts them in their own categories - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions