Register Now
Kane99

Will Rockstar ever make games that aren't GTA or RDR?

Believe it or not, Rockstar was once a dev/publisher that released different kinds of games instead of just GTA and RDR. The most recent new IP that isn't any of those franchises, was I think L.A. Noire in 2011, oh and Max Payne 3 in 2013. Otherwise, all I see are re-releases for PC, like Manhunt 2 in 2009. Rockstar seems to focus on their two big IPs in GTA and RDR. 

We haven't seen a new Midnight Club game, and I'm sure people would really enjoy that. And of course a new Bully game would be dope, but that is likely never going to happen with their focus being so heavily on GTA 6 going into 2024-2025. 

I really think GTA's focus will mostly be on GTA and RDR going forward. I doubt we'll see a Bully 2 like I've been hoping for. I doubt we'll see a new L.A. Noire. Hell, I'd even take a new Table Tennis game, but there's no way they will make a sequel or remaster of that. 

And I know with TakeTwo there are many other franchises, but I'm specifically referring to what Rockstar's side does, and it's clear their focus is mostly on GTA and will probably be that way for the foreseeable future. What do you think? Could Rockstar one day dig back into their back catalog to draw inspiration for new games, or revivals? 

I would love to see a sequel to Bully but at this point I don't think it'll ever happen. I can't really see them making other games just to hold people over until the newest GTA or RDR. This is because they make so much money off GTA V alone and that's why it took them over a decade to make a new one. As long as they're making money off that, I don't really see them developing games other than GTA and RDR.

It's possible that Rockstar may revisit their older IPs in the future, but for now, it seems like their focus is primarily on the GTA and RDR franchises. While fans may hope for new games like Midnight Club or Bully, it's uncertain if and when those will happen, especially with the attention on GTA 6. Only time will tell what Rockstar's future projects will be.

The earliest game I can remember Rockstar making was DKC on the SNES. But since then, the GTA and RDR franchises have been so wildly successful that they focus on them because those are their cash cows. I mean just look around this forum and see how much talk there has been about a possible GTA6. There has been less talk of a possible RDR3, but it has been brought up. When someone sees success with something they tend to ride that horse for as long as they can.

Considering how I see Rockstar as being one of the best studios and they make the best games, I would LOVE to see them come out with some new and original games. But, RDR and GTA are where the money's at, so that's where they're sticking.

On 1/17/2024 at 11:07 PM, Bizdustry said:

I don’t think this will ever happen. The company is making a lot of profit and the brand is mainly known for GTA so I think they’ll focus on different versions and remakes for the time. But, who knows?

Well, that's what's happening right now. When you have something that's already working for you, it's smart to focus on it and milk it for as long as it brings the desired results. This is exactly what Rockstar is doing with their GTA and RDR franchise. Moving away from these honey pot is going to be a bad business decision.