Register Now
Kane99

Spec Ops: The Line permanently removed from Steam and other digital stores

Source - https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/30/24055807/spec-ops-the-line-delisting-licensing-2k

This is sad news, as the popular third person military shooter is being removed from pretty much every platform. I originally thought it was just Steam, but it was also removed from Xbox and GOG recently. The reason it was delisted, was due to licensing issues. And it's being said that it likely won't be back on storefronts anytime soon, or likely never. 

Thank goodness I still have the physical game on the 360. 

Upon seeing this thread, I immediately started downloading the game from Steam in fear of if being removed completely, even though deep downI knew it would be OK if the game in in one's library. I just wanted to be sure. So if you already own the game from one of these stores, you can still download and play it, it just can't be bought anymore.

This really is a shame. Because of a couple of old, licensed music tracks, people can no longer buy one of the very best games of it's type that has ever been released. If for thier own reason people don't own it or can't play it on the old PS3 or Xbox 360 hardware, what option do people have now other than to pirate it? It's technically abandonware from this point unless 2K fix this problem and remove or replace the music with the expired licence so they can re-list it. The problem is they clearly won't. 2K obviously knew this was coming, likely for years, and did nothing about it. So as far as I'm concerned, 2K have no right to complain about the game being shared for free by others unless they sort it out.

Edited by Shagger

9 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I’ve been wanting to buy the game for a while. The sale value has held up for an old generation game on disc. It won’t fall below $20, for a game 2 generations ago. Is the game that good? 

I removed your double post. Back to the topic.

Now that the game can't be bought on any digital store, I'm sorry to say that you should expect the price of the game on disk to go up if anything. The game is really good, though. I won't say much, but you'll first think it's just another military shooter when it really isn't.