Register Now
Kane99

Good games where you hated the ending

What are some good or even great games that had a horrible ending? There are a couple for me, the big one is probably Assassin's Creed III. I really enjoyed the game, most of the story and the setting, but the ending felt rushed and it was boring. For those wondering, you can read it below: Spoilers below:

You chase down your father in a burning ship, which ends with a cutscene where you take his life if I remember correctly. After that I think it's mostly cutscenes and going to a location as Desmond.

But to build things up, and end it like that, I thought was a disappointment. I wanted to actually battle it out in the end, but it just felt like a chase to the scene. 

Another game I like, but didn't like the ending, was GTA IV. Another where I thought the ending felt rushed, and didn't really give much of a payoff in the end. 

What are some good games that had a bad ending? I know Mass Effect 3 will probably be mentioned. 

Edited by Kane99

RDR2 had a horrible ending. It leaves you with an empty feeling. Like something vital is missing, and truth be told, there actually is something missing. I absolutely love the game, but the ending is something I don't go for much anymore.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 had a horrible ending. It leaves you with an empty feeling. Like something vital is missing, and truth be told, there actually is something missing. I absolutely love the game, but the ending is something I don't go for much anymore.

To be fair, it was the prequel to the original RDR1 so the ending being so open-ended kind of made sense.

I know it was a prequel. But I still didn't like how it ended. It ended up causing an emotional connection to the characters (especially Arthur) that I have never felt before. I found a family that I ever had. And losing someone in that manner broke my heart. I didn't cry when my grandmother died, but I bawled my eyes out when Arthur died.

MGSV: The Phantom Pain. Nothing like spending hundreds of hours playing what was billed as the final chapter of Big Boss' saga, then finding out the character you're playing as isn't even Big Boss. That ending burned me so bad I haven't touched any of my MGS games since, and it used to be one of my favorite series.

FFVII Remake. That game was so good until the last chapter where they brought in the multiverse BS that wasn't in the original game.

For me, Probably MGSV. I kinda had an inkling of what the 'twist' was and I guess it makes sense as to why they didn't bring back David Hayter to voice "Big Boss". (Yes the quotes are intentional) only to find out you weren't playing as Big Boss, but, they kinda told you that in the beginning of the game if you were paying close attention anyways. It still seemed like a weak, shoe-horned in sort of ending IMHO.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:31 PM, HowHammerYou said:

FFVII Remake. That game was so good until the last chapter where they brought in the multiverse BS that wasn't in the original game.

I totally agree with this - I was like, "which universe is this? Marvel?" Whenever any series goes the multiverse route, it usually ends in disaster and the story becomes extremely convoluted.