Register Now
killamch89

Mount Everest or Deep Sea Diving? What's Your Pick?

If you had to choose between climbing Mount Everest or diving into the depths of the ocean, which adrenaline-pumping adventure would you go for? Are you more drawn to the towering heights and icy challenges of Everest, or does the mysterious allure of the deep sea call to you?

Easy choice. Neither.

But if I'm being forced to choose it's another easy answer. The deep sea. There's so much down there to see that it's just amazing. I could also do things such as visit the wreckage of the Titanic. I've seen relics and pieces of the ship, but to actually visit the ship in 80% of its entirety would just be awesome. Then going by the debris field between the two pieces of the ship would leave me speechless. If I had millions of dollars, I would commission a scale model of the ship. But to afford that, I would have to be at a point in wealth where I'm wiping my ass with $100 bills.

Edited by The Blackangel

Honestly, I'd take my chances with Mount Everest. If you get into difficulties under the deep sea, you're more or less screwed. Yes, Mount Everest has its own set of challenges but you may have a slim chance of getting help or surviving long enough to get rescued. God knows what you'll even encounter down there lol.

Everest is a cemetery. There are hundreds of dead bodies on it. The most famous is Green Boots. Sure, after the centuries of sailors there are more in the oceans, but that's a whole different set of circumstances. I would say you have a smaller chance of dying in the ocean than you do on Everest. As for rescue, that's why there are hundreds of bodies on the way up. There is no rescue on that mountain. You die, you stay right where you drop. You have to have special breathing equipment because if you just try to breathe normally when you're starting to get up there in elevation, your lungs will freeze.

I'll happily take my chances in the ocean.

It comes down to a choice.  If one had to do one or the other knowing it was going to go wrong, how would you rather die?  Outside of a sudden accident that will kill you quick, one of these two fates await you. A Pulmonary Edema or Decompression Sickness.

Neither of them are at all pleasant, but I'd prefer the Pulmonary Edema.  I've had Pneumonia, so at least I would be somewhat prepared for what it's like. So Mt Everest, please.  OK, with Mt Everest your body would never be removed, but given what happens to the body is sever cases of Decompression Sickness, I'd rather mv loved ones not have a body to bury that have what's left after a deep sea mishap.

Edited by Shagger

On 4/24/2024 at 3:55 PM, Shagger said:

It comes down to a choice.  If one had to do one or the other knowing it was going to go wrong, how would you rather die?  Outside of a sudden accident that will kill you quick, one of these two fates await you. A Pulmonary Edema or Decompression Sickness.

Neither of them are at all pleasant, but I'd prefer the Pulmonary Edema.  I've had Pneumonia, so at least I would be somewhat prepared for what it's like. So Mt Everest, please.  OK, with Mt Everest your body would never be removed, but given what happens to the body is sever cases of Decompression Sickness, I'd rather mv loved ones not have a body to bury that have what's left after a deep sea mishap.

I've had pneumonia a few times, and I agree that it's not fun. The thing here though is that at those heights there's no worry about catching pneumonia because it's too cold for the virus to survive. You would have had to have it before you started the climb. It's like how you can't catch a cold at either of the poles. It's too cold for the virus to survive. With the bends though, that's the reason divers stop several times on their way to the surface. To combat it and allow their blood gasses to get back to normal. Then you have to remember the submersible last year that imploded on its way to the Titanic. They were all dead before they even knew there was a problem.

I guess I'm seeing the choice as do you want to die a slow cold death, or do you want to be dead before you even know there's any issues? I'll take the quick one.