Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes a game "cinematic?"

I often hear people referring to liking a "cinematic" quality in a game, but I've never totally been clear on what that means (it seems to vary from person to person). For those who like games with this quality, what are you looking for in terms of POV, world design, cut scenes, etc?

Agree with Alyxx and Katri above. Well directed cut-scenes and a focus on a strong narrative give games a cinematic quality. I often think third person perspective games are a little more filmic than first person, but both can be cinematic. Uncharted, The Last Of Us, the recent Tomb Raider titles and David Cage games are good examples of cinematic video game experiences.

9 hours ago, Alyxx said:

More focus on story and narrative over gameplay. Metal Gear Solid series come to mind as a prime example, or the David Cage games.

MGS is a godmade franchise. When I first got into it I wasn't prepared of the depth it carried. I used to say that I don't care about playing it since it will be "Counter Strike" material. Poor foolish me 😄

I certainly agree that the cinematic part of a game is subjective more than an exact set of criteria but for me, games like GTA 5 struck me as cinematic. The quality of the cut-scenes, the extensiveness of the narrative and so on makes me feel part of the game on a different level than when I'm actually playing it and flying planes about the place like a lunatic. Actually told me a story and took me through it, so that's cinematic to me!