Register Now
StaceyPowers

Moral choices in video games and suspending disbelief

I often hear gamers talk about "challenging" moral choices in video games where you have to pick between doing a "right" thing and doing something which will give you abilities to help you out in the game. The thing is, I never seem to find these choices hard, but maybe that's just because I fail to suspend my disbelief, and I know the game mechanics will let me win anyway. A good example would be Dragon Age: Origins, where there are multiple morally dubious opportunities to enhance your army for the final battle, but I don't get the impression it really makes a big difference outside the narrative in one's head.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Edited by StaceyPowers

I thought the Life Is Strange series (both the OG series and the Before The Storm prequels), Telltale’s The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain all had some difficult choices thrown in there that made me think. The morally grey areas definitely make an emotional impact on me and that generally helps make it a more memorable experience. 

Edited by DylanC

I think I like some of the games that give choices. For example, call of cthulu has different choices. but often the outcome is pretty much same. So I don't see much changes in the story being written. i think story should change with even the small changes that are out there. Not all games can pull that out from what I have seen about such games so far.